Trisha Yearwood on the Back of a Harley
by Jen Hatmaker on April 10th, 2012

Some people struggle privately, in the safety of their family and close friends, tucked away from public scrutiny. They reach out to a small handful of trusted people and gallop towards stability in the comfortable cushion of dependable community.

Others, like for instance, me, post their mental breakdowns on the global internet and hope for the best.

Fortunately for me, my actual people read my digital meltdowns and intervene.

Thus, my husband whisked me away last week for a motorcycle ride through the Hill Country with friends, staying overnight in the most charming log cabin on the Frio River. It was for my mental health recovery, and let me tell you: I should fall apart more often.

On the back of the Harley (a gift from one of our favorite people on earth…true story…please don't hate on this outrageous kindness), riding through the most beautiful hills and rivers and wildflowers and scenery in our state, I plugged in my earbuds and tapped into The Gift From The Heavens: Pandora. I pulled up one of our current favorite stations: Carrie Underwood. Oh, Carrie. Let’s just make this easy: Be mine. Thank you.

After jamming to Before He Cheats and Undo It for a spell, my memory tapped me on the shoulder, reminding me of the former female country voices who clogged every corner of my mind with lyrics and longings for so many years.

Trisha...Faith...Alison...Shania...Martina...Jo Dee...Martie/Natalie/Emily...Reba; these girls, with their high-waisted jeans and belly shirts, sang the anthem over my college years and 20’s. They spied on me and stole my thoughts and experiences, then wrote songs about them.

They sang me through new independence and the sharp thrill of young adulthood. My college girlfriends rolled our windows down and turned the music up, belting out our freedom, and man…I DID feel like a woman. We’d bring our stereos down to the lake and lay out, slathered with baby oil, hastening our impending skin cancer, a testament to the folly of youth, singing Martina songs and dreaming of the day we’d have marriages like Tim and Faith.

Cinching our jeans approximately three inches below our boobs seemed like a good idea.

This was my attempt at "The Rachel" hair like everyone else in 1994. Bless it.

These singers watched me fall in love with Brandon, and they wrote songs declaring our glorious love to the world. After all, our very first date was on a country dance floor, twirling and spinning to Some Kind of Trouble by Tanya Tucker, feeling mildly positive we were headed into the hurricane of young love. These women made sure to capture every emotion of that raw, reckless season, so fragile and dramatic and visceral. Each song proclaimed my angst and happiness and hopes and self-indulgence. Trisha was right: She’s in love with the boy, and even if they have to run away, she’s gonna marry that boy someday.

"Anything I do or say better be okay when I have a bad hair day..."

With surgical precision, they then documented my life with that first baby, so overwhelmed and tender, my love bleeding out sideways. They wrote words to help the rest of humanity understand how my heart was now living outside my body, making me ache with helpless, hapless, hopeless love for this tiny boy. The songs gave it all flight; From This Moment On by Shania, This Kiss by Faith, You’ll Never Know by Mindy, played softly during middle of the night feedings when moonlight flooded my son’s face and I thought, well, this is it, this is how it ends for me; I’m just going to die of love, right here, right in this glider rocker. I was so grateful these women declared 1998 ‘The Year of New Motherhood Music’ for me.

This is how Ann Voskamp posts pics on her blog, too...
by taking pictures of old pictures with her iPhone.

For my generation, these women sang us through all those formative years, when we were only ankle deep into our own stories, humming the opening notes to a song that wasn’t yet written in us. They gave us confident words when we needed them and lyrics of grief and disappointment when life refused to cooperate like the books said it should. Their words resonated deeply, which of course I now know why; these women were mothers and wives and daughters singing their own stories, letting us borrow them for our weddings and relationships and dreams. These were heart lyrics, life narratives. Some things are just universal.

As I thought of this baton that has now been passed to Carrie and Taylor and Miranda and Kellie, I’ll admit, a few tears slid backwards on my cheeks, and my memories caught in my throat. So much is behind me. It happened so fast. One minute I was singing Born to Fly by Sara Evans with my toddler in the backyard, and the next minute I’m seeing him through his final six weeks of middle school.

I meant to savor every single moment, but life was harder than I envisioned and time went faster than I planned; my kids’ early years were like five minutes…underwater. These beautiful chaotic years of raising children are infinitely slow, but viciously fleeting. It’s the darndest thing. How I have a high schooler in four months is simply beyond me.

All those songs, markers through such precious, impossible years are obsolete today. They were stakes in time, but now they are just memories. They were so good, so very good, so right and true and special and timely, but now I have to dig them out like the old pictures of first birthdays and Christmas 1999 and preschool graduation programs I haven’t converted to digital copies yet, relics of a bygone era in more ways than one.

So on the back of the bike, I switched my Pandora channel to “Trisha Yearwood” and sang every note to every song, as familiar as the church hymns I can still sing harmony to. I threw out gratitude to these women for singing their lives out loud, and in that, helping so many of us find ours. I thanked them for anchoring so much life change in lyrics throughout college, early 20s, young marriage, young motherhood; they sang my story.

I dried up those tears, wrapped my arms around Brandon, my love of 18 years, threw my head back and sang with Jo Dee:

Well we had a lot of dreams when we were younger
They thought we were crazy but we had the hunger
We kept a lot of friends, skipped a lot of class
Been on top of the world and knocked on our ____
We lost touch, we lost in love
We lost our minds when things got tough, but
Beatin' time is a losin' fight and I guess I'm doin' alright

I'm all, I'm all, I'm alright
It's a beautiful day not a cloud in sight so I guess I'm doin' alright
Oh, o - oh, I'm alright
Got a good old friend here with me tonight and I guess I'm doin' alright…

FOR THE LOVE, I didn’t even pay homage to the Indigo Girls, the Cranberries, or Whitney Houston. Who sang the anthems over your life? Who sang your story? (Mamas and Daddies ahead of us: tell us to treasure these years. We hate when you say that, but please tell us again.)

Kris - April 10th, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Oh Jen, thanks for the memories.
Carla - April 10th, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Uh, hellloooo! Wilson Phillips????
Jamie Ivey - April 10th, 2012 at 9:26 PM
oh girl you are speaking my language! Love all these songs ...

Well we had a lot of dreams when we were younger

They thought we were crazy but we had the hunger

We kept a lot of friends, skipped a lot of class

Been on top of the world and knocked on our ____

We lost touch, we lost in love

We lost our minds when things got tough, but

Beatin' time is a losin' fight and I guess I'm doin' alright

takes me STRAIGHT BACK TO COLLEGE at ole DBU! Sang that many a times with the windows down and the wind blowing in my hair!
boomama - April 10th, 2012 at 9:32 PM
There is not world enough and time to list all my anthem singers, but the Girls are 'bout near at the top of my list. Even now.
Jennifer - April 10th, 2012 at 9:37 PM
As I feel like I am drowning in dirty dishes and diapers, you remind me to cherish each day with my babies. Babies who will be grown and gone before I know it. I will hug my children a little longer tomorrow, and put down the laundry to read a book to my toddler. Thank you for the encouragement! It is so desperatly needed for us young mamas!
Kelli Wommack - April 10th, 2012 at 9:38 PM
How about some Bryan Adams, Air Supply, Chicago, and Aerosmith? You are taking me back, Jen! Or how about Kool and the Gang... " Cherish the love we have...cherish the life we live..." Good stuff!
Margo - April 10th, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Ok, where's Martina? You know you always wanted to figure out what some Strawberry Wine tasted like! Admit it, you did. Wait. That was me? Nevermind.
Colleen - April 10th, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Oh, for real...you don't get much more college anthem-y than Trisha, Faith and Martina. But The Indigo Girls? They totally held my hand through college. I could sing every harmonic note to Ghost and Power of Two. (and all their other odd, angry, beautiful songs) I think you and I are about the same age, so you must have loved Sarah McLachlan, Jewel and Alaniss Morisette, too...right? (seriously...the girl had some anger issues, but she still rocked)

Love your new look, btw.
Jen Hatmaker - April 11th, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Oh yes. These were my indie women. I'd listen to Sarah and think about how tortured I was.
Gilly - April 10th, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Were you 16 or 17 when you had Gavin? What? I'm just sayin'. Sheesh! Way to make a sister feel old. I know, I know, I've got to get on it. I hear you...maybe one day I'll finally listen :). Miss your face!
Michelle@OneRoofAfrica - April 10th, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Girl my childhood was all Amy Grant, Michael Jackson and Madonna. As my babies grew Innocence Mission and Over the Rhine carried me through..... They still do. But when I hear Michael I can't help but shake my booty. Whew. Thanks for the ride.

Oh, my goodness I forgot my LOVE for New Kids on the Block or NKOTB if you were a fan, whatevs.
Camille - April 10th, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Yay! Great post. Thanks for all the memories. All the country girls were on my playlist, especially the Chicks! My sister and I still sing "Goodbye Earl" in harmony for karaoke whenever we get the chance. We're SO cool. Oh, and I knew every word to every Matchbox 20, Counting Crows, and Sister Hazel song. Still do. :-) So happy that you got to take a road trip with your man! Even the best Mamas need a break now and then. :-)
Ashley - April 10th, 2012 at 10:24 PM
I loved ALL THAT! In college definitely wore out Shania, the Cranberries, Trisha, Mindy. And then there were Garth, Clint, Alan and Colin. Such fun memories. In my junior high years it was Whitney, Taylor, etc. I was so sad when Whitney died...I had forgotten how many songs of hers that I loved at different times of my life.
ashley - April 10th, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Who didn't want to know if there was anyone out there who would feel this way about them:

When the rain

Is blowing in your face

And the whole world

Is on your case

I could offer you

A warm embrace

To make you feel my love

When the evening shadows

And the stars appear

And there is no - one there

To dry your tears

I could hold you

For a million years

To make you feel my love
Kristy - May 2nd, 2012 at 6:15 AM
I think of my kids everytime I hear this song!!
MainlineMom - April 10th, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Wow y'all are so countrified! The anthems of my youth? Well the Indigo Girls are right up there along with Alanis Morrisette and Tori Amos. REM and The Cure and Pearl Jam...oh yes I was a grungy yankee. :)
Chantel - April 10th, 2012 at 10:42 PM
This post made me go "aw" (insert ridiculous voice...cause it's necessary to get the full effect).

I saw the Dixie Chicks in concert at a Six Flags before the rest of the world knew that Earl had to die, I loved them. Looking at the comments alone brought back memories. Thanks for causing me to go back in time and be grateful for the soundtrack :)
Lesley - April 10th, 2012 at 10:47 PM
This was beautiful. So glad for your time away with your husband through the gorgeous Hill Country (in the Springtime! You lucky girl!) and especially for this moment with your memories...

I stole upstairs after reading it to take a look at my 5- and 2- year old as they slept and pondered what my anthems are...

My husband and I survived seminary and my first pregnancy with George Strait's Greatest Hits...I once called him (my husband, not George), sobbing (pregnant), and left a message on his cell phone wherein I said "I just wanted to let you know that...I love you...and I really do promise to...(sniffling and squeaking) give all I've got to give to make...(hiccup, sniffle) ALL your dreams come true (sniffle, sob, squeak)." I'm sure he was deeply touched, right after he entertained the notion of running far, far away from his psychotic and off-the-charts emotional wife. Belting those songs out together as we drove from Kentucky to Oklahoma and from Oklahoma to Kentucky are painfully sweet memories.

And my kids...one song really comes to mind, and it is the theme song to the 2003 version of Peter Pan. My kids love to listen to it and when the music really picks up, they thrust their arms forward and flyyyyyyy, eyes full of wonder and hope and innocence, and I tear up every time. I know that when I hear that song someday and my birdies are far from the nest, I will absolutely LOSE it.

As I left their room tonight, stepping on a random lemon slice on the floor, stopping to flush the toilet that is used by my 5-year old, walking past old Easter eggs on the kitchen counter that I need to throw out and then catching a whiff of my 10-month old's dirty diaper, I kept in mind your words and I uttered a prayer of gratitude for the chaos of today. I know how much I'm going to miss it tomorrow.

Super sweet post - thank you so much for sharing!
Jen Hatmaker - April 11th, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Just CACKLED at your phone conversation. God bless him. Hugs.
Wendy - April 10th, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Wow! Beautiful post and the timing is perfect. We began taking our oldest son on college tours this week. Such an exciting and bittersweet time! Wish the anthems from those "younger" years had flooded my head and heart like they did for you. Seriously, I found myself humming a tune from "Fiddler on the Roof," "Is this the little boy I carried - Sunrise, sunset!" Yikes!
Karen - April 10th, 2012 at 11:15 PM
I remember a lot of those photos!!! I think I TOOK a lot of those photos!! :) Beautiful post, Jen--Thanks for the memories. (And thank you for not posting some of the more embarassing pics...) LOVE YOU!
Jen Hatmaker - April 11th, 2012 at 8:04 AM
I know! Christy Cotner sent me some other hilarious ones that didn't make the cut. ;0) Love you.
Nicole White - April 10th, 2012 at 11:20 PM
This totally resonates with me. I wrote about Alan Jackson's Remember When, which can make me weepy and nostalgic just thinking about it. Here is the post I wrote, hope you like it. http://nicolewhitespeaks.com/2011/05/13/remember-when/
Trace - April 11th, 2012 at 12:33 AM
I used to sing "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds to Robbie every night at bedtime... now I will be saying that to Rob as he goes five hours away to college.
Jen Hatmaker - April 11th, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Uh-oh. My throat just closed down. Must be allergies. *tear*
Jessica - April 11th, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Thank you for this post. As a new mom of a one month old, it is timely.
Jamie - April 11th, 2012 at 4:13 AM
"I meant to savor every single moment, but life was harder than I envisioned and time went faster than I planned; my kids’ early years were like five minutes..." AMAZING quote.

Can I copy this and share it and read it every single day !?!

Thank you for this beautiful post.
holly - April 11th, 2012 at 6:14 AM
Thanks for the memories. I needed that today.
Shannon D. - April 11th, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Thanks for the glimpse into your world...it helps me forget about mine :) And now it seems we should all get together and have a dancing date night, yes?
Cindy Beall - April 11th, 2012 at 7:07 AM
I grew up with those ladies, too. Right up the road (Georgetown) and down the road (San Marcos) from you. I, too, wore the mom jeans and thought I was hot until the Rocky Mountains entered the picture. Then, I was smokin'. (Not braggin', just sharin' my testimony.)

Thanks for this post. Some of the best writing I've ever read in my whole dadgum life.
Jen Hatmaker - April 11th, 2012 at 8:05 AM
All we have are our testimonies. It wasn't our fault we were size 4's back then.
jenny - April 11th, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Sadly, I wore a size 7 and thought I was fat!
Katie - April 11th, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Though I am just a few years behind you, I grew up with very strong country roots. The memories may be a little fuzzy, but the songs remain clear as a bell. Thanks for the reminder!
Leslie - April 11th, 2012 at 7:46 AM
I'm a mama ahead of you...it really, really does go by so fast. I found out Easter Sunday that my baby girl is having a baby (she's 24, an RN and about to celebrate her third wedding anniversary with the world's most perfect son-in-law, but she's still my baby!) I can't wait for the "knowing..." that moment when she holds her baby and finally begins to comprehend the love of a mother...and the mystery of grace. Ah. Sweetness.
Mrs. Troop - April 11th, 2012 at 7:47 AM
So very good, Jen! "my kids’ early years were like five minutes…underwater" OH how I can relate! Thanks for saying it for all of us. Whose kids are finishing up 10th grade and driving and whose babies are FIVE. (sniff)
Phyllis - April 11th, 2012 at 7:58 AM
As a new 'Nana' to an adopted baby girl, your comment, "played softly during middle of the night feedings when moonlight flooded my son’s face and I thought, well, this is it, this is how it ends for me; I’m just going to die of love, right here, right in this glider rocker." was spot on and articulates a feeling that I had not been able to explain! Great writing....always look forward to your blog entries!
Abby Norman - April 11th, 2012 at 8:03 AM
I watched "Romeo and Juliet" (the Clare Danes version) with my 9th graders this year. That sound track had me convinced me I was 16 again. Made me want to call my friend Steph from the closet with the chord stuck under the door. Oh that sound track......
Rebecca - April 11th, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Indigo Girls and Dixie Chicks!
Carolyn - April 11th, 2012 at 8:30 AM
My 16 year old daughter told me just yesterday, "Please dont talk about the past or the future. It makes me sad."

I didn't realize I was doing it so much, but I would talk about when she was little or about how things will be when she graduates. She just wants me to be in the present. Right now. It's something I need to be mindful of.
TishaLa - April 11th, 2012 at 8:33 AM
*jesusbumps*

I can't even type right now and usually my lil fingers will burn up a keyboard. I've had so many flashbacks while reading your blog I'm dizzy. I was born in Nashville and the artists you've mentioned have always had a place in my heart...*hanging head in shame* secretly...I mean come on...I'm a Black chick with a TX twang born in Nashville...you figure it out LOL Then someone mentioned Wilson Phillips and I lost it :'o) They sang to me during my basic training experience and every morning when I woke up at Ft. Jackson, SC...they told me to Hoooooold On for One More Day! and I did.

Thank you so much for this post....it has made my day. Oh and don't worry...I survived the big "I have a high school freshman freakout" earlier this year...you'll survive it too.
Jenny - April 11th, 2012 at 9:05 AM
ooooo......we're half way there....oooOOOO livin' on a prayer. Take my hand, we'll make it I swear! OOOO livin' on a prayer! Bon Jovi! YES! Sang this song in college, when Tray and I weren't even quit sure if WE'D make it. But here we are 25 years later, about to send our 1st born off to college. Trying to cram every last bit of information into his head while trying to "create a memory"!
Laurie Byington - April 11th, 2012 at 9:07 AM
As I sit and celebrate (yes I am celebrating) 50 years on this earth today I read your blog with a warm heart. Just got off the phone with my high school best friend (35 years)! Thinking and talking about all the dumb things we did when we were young. I read your post and I remember those memories are what shaped me into the woman I am today. I am thankful. I am blessed. God thank you for those dumb times, those bad choices and those hurtful journeys. You were shaping me!

AND along with me - ELO, Bruce Springstein, Elton John, Boston, Genesis, Heart...... just some of my fav's.....how would I have done it without you guys
Shara - April 11th, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Love. It. That was beautiful and a very sweet trip down memory lane. Thank you!

All or those you mentioned were my favorites too- Shania, Faith, Tricia. I'm off to add a new Pandora station...
Brandi - April 11th, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Oh my goodness. We are clearly the same age because I could have written this...but not as well as you. All of the ones you mentioned plus Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Milli Vanilli... in high school Blame It On The Rain. Maybe even, dare I say it, El DeBarge. Thank you for the trip down memory lane.
Sarah L - September 16th, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Blame It On the Rain, ooooh, ohhhh... The day my dad bought me that tape was the first time I actually considered that he might be cool!
wanda - April 11th, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Sweetest tribute ever! I was there too, sister!

Maybe a few years ahead of you...but I was listening to them sing my life as well!

Jeana - April 11th, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Well I LOVE this post. I just said to my husband last night, " it's not that I want another baby really, I just want the ones we have to STOP growing"!!! And as far as music, we are doing our best to drag our kids back through our growing up years with us. Lol. It is no accident that when we are traveling, one of our littles will ask "are we half way there?" and when we say " yes" the 10, 6 AND 4 yr old all belt out "0hhh we're half way there, oh-ohh livin on a prayer"! That is pure parenting genius!
Kat - April 11th, 2012 at 10:53 AM
"my kids’ early years were like five minutes…underwater." Possibly the best definition of mothering ever. We want to savor and escape it. Ironic.

Seems like Alanis had a song about that...
diane - April 11th, 2012 at 11:56 AM
This was great. I was definitely a country girl, but also into the rock. My husband always says, "Gunter Glieben Glauten Globen" to our kids (Def Leppard, Rock of Ages) and it occurred to me that he may be saying something awful to them in another language (!) so we googled it first to remember the song (and found out it means NOTHING) and then hit all those oldies but goodies on youtube. Our 3, 5, and 7 year old children were not impressed till we rocked out to the Eye of the Tiger! So many memories, I'm thankful I made it through those years!
deborah - April 11th, 2012 at 1:02 PM
"Eye of the Tiger" is one of my husband's favorites! :)
Patti - October 19th, 2012 at 6:22 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I have always wondered what it meant too. And how to spell it. Funny how a song can bring up a visual image and raw emotion.
Krista - April 11th, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I just got choked up reading these posts... I don't have any kids, and I'm a little younger than you, but these are the songs of my childhood and teenage years, too. I'm feeling all kinds of contemplative as I enter the last year of my 20s on Saturday (happy birthday to me!). I also fell in love for the first time with these songs playing in the background and had my heart broken and a lot of other crappy, crappy stuff with these songs as my themes... I got a Faith Hill CD one years as a Christmas gift with my super awesome Discman, and I jammed to Jo Dee in my first car (with an updated Discman and an adapter that plugged into the lighter because I didn't have a CD player!) and I learned the words to Patty Loveless's heart-breaking lyrics as a tween. I can't imagine a life of music without these moments and memories.

My sister, who is basically like my child, is eight and it just makes me cry reading from you mamas about how your babies are having babies and going to college and becoming teenagers. Sometimes -- all of the time -- I just want to trap Charisse at this magical time and not let her grow up because it's both beautiful and excruciatingly painful at the same time.

Excuse me while I go make a playlist on Spotify to meet the needs of these songs.
deborah - April 11th, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Talk about memories resurfacing! :) So many of those singers and songs were woven through my teen years and dating my husband! "She's In Love With The Boy" was "my" song! We're getting very close to 15 years of marriage and I have been shaking my head and laughing and wondering how it can really be that long, ALREADY?!!!
Flower Patch Farmgirl - April 11th, 2012 at 1:08 PM
God Bless Jo Dee. "But his eyes were the same ol' blue-ue-ue". And that little crack in her voice there? Law. That song cried me through the cancellation of my wedding TWO WEEKS before the big day.

A little over a year later, I stuck my toes out the window with Sara Evans and smiled with Shedaisy at my new husband (the same boy I had cried over with Jo Dee a year before) with his sun-tanned hands and his thousand acre plans.

Song lyrics are my spiritual gift.

Crystal - April 11th, 2012 at 1:10 PM
This is truly one of my favorite, favorite posts you've written. Sitting here at work trying not to bawl! Trisha, Faith, Martina, Whitney Houston . . . heaven help me , the memories just FLOOD back. Also, Stevie Ray Vaughn - I'm an Austin girl, and his music brings back memories of my mom and dad dancing on the back deck in the summer. Lovely. THANK YOU!
Stacy W - April 11th, 2012 at 2:23 PM
So happy that you
Stacy W - April 11th, 2012 at 2:33 PM
let's try this AGAIN.........

So happy that you
Jen Hatmaker - April 11th, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Stacy...I think I know what causes this glitch. If you use the "and sign" above the 7, it cuts off anything from that point on. Did you by chance use it? Because if not, then my blog is possessed.
Becky Stewart Jenkins - April 11th, 2012 at 6:27 PM
Jen, great post- thanks for sharing! I too have an 8th grade son who will head off to HS in a few short months, so I feel your pain. As for favorite college music, how about The Black Crows - "Shake Your Moneymaker"! "hey little thing let me light your candle cause momma I'm so hard to handle now" - typing these lyrics is cracking me up! On a more serious note, I'm so proud of you!
Heather - April 11th, 2012 at 7:12 PM
This is FABULOUS! Melissa Ethridge got me through some angry days, Nancy Griffith made me feel like I could change the world and who didn't LOVE the scene from "Say Anything" with John Cusack holding the boom box playing "In Your Eyes!" We set every boyfriend there after up for romantic failure. And a big shout out to MIXED TAPES that allowed us to express every emotion in between. Thanks for the memories. Heather
Ann Voskamp - April 11th, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Beautiful.

The words. The sentiment. And *especially* the photos. ;)

You're a gift, friend... Keep writing, it.

All's grace,

Ann
Michele - April 11th, 2012 at 8:12 PM
David Crowder has sang me through my some adventurous years of faith, anthems of learning what it means to follow and live a life with Jesus.

I read one of those cheesy fb pictures this week that said, "the days are long but the years are short." this post really put music to that.
Mandy C - April 11th, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Oh my..........you took me straight back, back to days of dancing in dorm rooms and back country boot scootin' "saloons"......were we ever that young and carefree? And, yes, I felt those ladies knew my heart and understood the days I was living. These days I am in the midst of young ones, but the easy, happy at home years are happening. All three are 2-5.....beyond babyhood but still young. I am soaking it in.....
Kristen Stone - April 12th, 2012 at 6:12 AM
Mad Science

scheduled April 5, 2012 from 2:45 PM to 3:45 PM

Whitney Burger - April 12th, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Even though I wasn't in College or my 20's... these women are the voices of my childhood! I grew up going to rodeo's and dreaming of being Faith Hill with a man like Tim, George, or Garth to sing my troubles away. To this day I can't get enough of the country classics. :]

am changing my pandora station now... thanks again for reminding me why you're a woman i actually listen to and consider wise!!!! ;]
mbs - April 12th, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Oh.My.Word...I'm at the nexxus of my universe!!!! Ann just left a comment on Jen's blog....

**deep breaths**

I just came to add a few pieces to the "life" playlist: Katrina and the Waves, Tears for Fears, Simple Minds, (yeah, I'm about a half a generation older than you, and a little farther north of "country")

however, Dixie Chicks...LOVE!!...speak my urban language, too...my poor DH protests it everytime they come on. You'd think, in his house full of chicks, he'd simply accept them, but he fights it everytime. I explain: You want to understand your environment, you MUST come to understand the CHICKS. He just ignores me and blasts his April Wine or Aerosmith. *sigh* MEN! ;-)
Julia Leinen - April 13th, 2012 at 8:33 PM
All right stop, collaborate, and listen

Ice is back with my brand new invention

Something grabs ahold of me tightly

Flows like a harpoon, daily and nightly.

Seriously, I was such a dork but I could rock these lyrics.

glad you got away with the hubs. great post.
Holly - April 14th, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Thanks for this post. I am a music junkie, so I feel the same way every day. I've always told my husband my dream in life is to ride from Boston (where I used to live after college) on a hog to NYC listening to "Born to Run" blaring on the radio while heading in to see Lion King! Odd, yes!

My favorite band EVER is Counting Crows. I think their lyrics are incredible. I feel that way everytime I hear their music especially Rain King or Anna Begins.

Lately I've also fallen in love with Rodney Crowl's "Earthbound" and Wilco's "California Stars" which are from 2003 and 1998 respectively, but just rediscovered them.

Music is the window to these memories and make them the soundtracks to our lives.

Thanks for the perk after a hard day!
Sandy - April 16th, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Jen!

I've been a long-time fan of yours--have read several of your books (7 totally messed me up, thankyouverymuch), and I've just today discovered you have a blog!!! I'm so happy.

Question: Is there a way for me to subscribe via e-mail? I just know I'll forget to check back here if it isn't hand-delivered into my inbox each time you post.

Question 2: If there is NOT currently a way for me to subscribe, can you please create one?

Blessings,

Sandy Cooper
Caryn Ruff - April 18th, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Oh girl! Memorial Day Weekend...1999. Kevin and I were living in Kansas City. We were given 2 tickets to the George Straight Concert. It was the 'stadium tour.' We were on row 30 on the field at Arrowhead Stadium. We saw JoDee and the Dixie Chicks. Tim was there and talked to Faith on the phone from the stage. The jumbo-tron camera zoomed in on his beautiful 'guns' showing us his 'FAITH' tattoo. I was swooning.....someday my Kevin would have my name on his left arm and declare his love to me from a stage in front of many people! I went to that concert in my denim overall shorts and rocked the scrunchie ponytail. I have the tickets....the photos...and I left a piece of my heart with those people on that stage. The Dixie Chicks played barefoot and JoDee did I high kick that impressed me for life! You spoke my language in this post! Those were the days and I love to be transported back sometimes! Now....I'm going to find my iPod and hook myself up with some good radio!
Mara - April 19th, 2012 at 1:38 AM
my friend sent me a link to your blog just last week and ironically, I just got back from a roadtrip to my alma mater. I graduated from college 16 years ago and during our 500 roundtrip mile road trip, our play list included most all the artists you mentioned. I just reread the post because my mind is full of memories right now...I just can't put it all into words as well as you can....thank you for your thoughtful writing!
Courtney - April 22nd, 2012 at 6:49 AM
Oh, I just love this musical trip down memory lane. I know every word to all those songs as well, and now I'll have Jo Dee in my head today :) Just yesterday I reached deep into my Tom Petty box set and blasted it through the house as I cooked and cleaned. I thought about how my boys need to know who Tom Petty is, and that devotion to good music used to involve finding a place for box sets of CDs.
Sara Salguero - April 25th, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Wow, this blog post brought lots of tears! Today I am turning 30, and I have been throwing myself a big ole pity party...not because I am turning 30 but because I am in my first trimester of pregnancy and I feel like throwing up all the time. Oh and did I mention I am a missionary and actually home in the states with my Mama and Daddy and homemade ice cream! Anyway, I have been feeling sorry for myself all day...wishing my toddler would "understand" my need to lay on the couch and that for one day God would let the nausea ease up so I can eat my heart out...and well I have just done a really good job of wallowing. But, as I read your blog and thought back on how fast these 30 years have gone by (seriously I feel like I was just 15 yesterday jamming to Boyz to Men), I realize that I gotta savor each and every one of these moments because before I know it my sweet toddler is going to be 15 and this little baby will be 12 and I am going to be wishing for this moment again. Thank you for the reminder. Now I need to start listening to some Boyz to Men! :)
Kelli Cox - April 28th, 2012 at 11:35 AM
AWWW ! I love all these! I just found your blog- love it!! I feel like my college life mirrored yours- I was at MC (mississippi college)though and I swear I had to study one of those pictures to make sure it wasn't one of my friends. OH and I had a FRIENDS haircut too but mine was a Monica (the short version from 95ish) and it was AWFUL!! Such fun memories- love the musical walk down memory lane!!
Joy - April 30th, 2012 at 9:48 PM
I have music to just about every memory stored away in my 50 year old brain! If I hear "Takin it to the Streets" by the Doobie Brothers I'm right back in my little blue VW bug, headed to the lake with my buddy Linda. If I hear ELO, The Knack, or something similar, it's date night with my high school boyfriend in his '67 Firebird convertible. Pandora's Funk Radio channel is my favorite. I have told at least a dozen people (to make sure it happens) that when I die I want "Play that Funky Music White Boy" played at the funeral...it's my anthem. I know...I'm deep! : )
lifelivedfully - May 10th, 2012 at 6:39 AM
Lawdy, the 80's and 90's were the best of the worst hair, but they pumped out some mighty good tunes. I am going to bust out with the some Reba, "yes, Fancy was here name..." gotta love that while REba's hair has deflated along with mine, she is going strong.

And on the other end of the spectrum, Sinead O'Connor..."Nothing Compares to You" brings back tight rolled jeans and gusts of White Rain hairspray.....ahhh, the good ole days:)
Christine Teagarden - June 8th, 2012 at 10:18 PM

You are awesome and I just LOVe YOU! You did a guest post for Give1Save1 on adoption and I have read and reread that article a million times. i can't get the link to work anymore. Could you possibly email me the article? We recently adopted and still like reading it for inspiration on long, lonely days! Thanks, Christine
Rebekah - July 23rd, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this post, but I did and boy did I need it. I'm turning 28 this Saturday, and already feeling like I've forgotten "these" days. thanks for the reminder and the admonition to cling to these moments b/c they are so so so fleeting.
Jenny - December 30th, 2013 at 8:28 PM
You have spoken my love language. Songs and as I sit here and read comment after comment and remember each and every song suddenly I'm lost on what got me through my stages. Country for sure...Garth Brooks and Laurie Morgan came to our small town fair one hot July year and I roller skated my buns off to "Friends in Low Places" as I tried desperately to shed the goody two shoes image...won't even go down that road. And I sang from the top of my lungs "I didn't know my own strength" after each heartbreak life took me on.
The 90's were tough, grunge just didn't do it for me, I longed for the 80's when I would sneak upstairs to spy on my sisters or when I was actually allowed to sit with them and pine over Jon Bon Jovi...I was 7, I had no idea what pinning was. Def Leppard, REO Speedwagon...my 3 sisters and I could sing them all right here right now.
Simon and Garfunkel help me draw near to my mom whenever I miss her. And I remember her shaking her head as I had my Forest Gump soundtrack on repeat for years. She always told me I had been born 20 years too late.
But what can I say Reba was the woman. She took my husband and I on our honeymoon to Montana and back. Through the wild wilderness and mountains we sang and twanged our hearts out. And whenever I hear any of these songs I'm back there.