How to Be Awesome at Everything
by Jen Hatmaker on July 13th, 2012

It’s a dog eat dog world, good readers (or as Gloria says on Modern Family: “doggy dog world”). We’re all just slogging forward, working on the chain gang, paying The Man. Folks, we all simply need an edge, small advantages to survive this cruel, cold world.  If we could only do everything better, emerge as ever-so-slightly superior to everyone else, I believe we’d reach nirvana. So I’m here for you, friends. I care about your success and fame and fortune. I believe I’ve discovered some secrets to impressive achievement and because I love my neighbor like Jesus said, I shan’t hoard them for my own personal triumph. Without further ado, I serve up to you piping hot:

HOW TO BE AWESOME AT EVERYTHING

How to be awesome at blogging:

Let the experts say what they will about blogging three times a week to “increase traffic” and “gain readership” and “increase your Klout Google analytics Top Ten Mrs. Popular score.” Take it from me: if you want to be awesome, blog sporadically. Confuse your readers by posting twice in one week one month then go radio silent for three solid months. People love this. Regularity is overrated; readers want inconsistency in their blogs. It’s a little fun to waste time pulling up a blog only to find the last entry is still dated April 10th. That’s hilarious and whimsical! It makes everyone chuckle and resolve to check back every single day.

Specifically, spend concentrated energy focused on difficult and controversial subjects like white privilege and Trayvon Martin and Christian consumerism, tricking your readers into thinking you’re a heavy hitter, then totally disappear. People find this mysterious and endearing. It makes them want to come back for more. Or not. (See how exciting and unpredictable this is? So winning.)

How to be awesome at summer parenting:

First, ensure that you have a major deadline to meet in June. If you can, miss that deadline and push it back by two weeks, pushing into the next deadline, which includes a week of filming in your house complete with nine scripts and fourteen location changes. To make things adventurous, don’t really plan anything for your kids to do during this week. Talk about a hoot! You and your husband decide to “kind of wing it”… I mean, kids can stay upstairs without food and water with the TV off and the air conditioner turned to 80° so it won’t click on and mess up audio for way longer than you think. This is how to raise survivors instead of mamby pambies. Plus, your husband will love this! It’s like camping but right upstairs and with total silence! This promotes bonding between dads and kids, and let’s be honest, in this fatherless generation, you’ll just be keeping your children off the therapist’s couch. You’re welcome, kids.

Second, if you have any children who are still learning English, sign them up for three weeks of summer school and package it as “Language Camp.” Tell them aaaaall the kids want to go, but only special, privileged children get the nod. Whisper in their ears that we should pray for their poor siblings who have to stay home all summer and play Xbox, for theirs is a sorry lot. This provides you an opportunity to instruct them in intercessory prayer, making this particular parenting move a two-for. Three hours into the first day when they catch on that this is, in fact, school, in a classroom, with instruction and teachers and learning and work and they call bull butter, don’t despair, because in addition to aiding your children in English as a second language, evidently they will also pick up a fair amount of Spanish in Language Camp. Now your kids are trilingual and nipping at the heels of the students in Japan. Get ready to sign your book deal, for you are a parenting marvel.
Language Camp es muy mal! No me gusto!

How to be awesome at gardening:

If possible, plant your garden six to ten weeks late. This tells those plants who is boss. You won’t be ruled by the environment; The Lord is your only Commander in Chief. Jesus Juke your own produce. I believe this is what God meant when He said “subdue the earth.” Sure, you’ve shortened the lifespan of your bounty, but getting five squash out of your plant before the bores destroy it is a good return on the $2.50 you spent on the cut, the compost you’ve been tending for six months, and the $240 monthly water bill.

It’s also a great idea to let the weeds get out of control rather than pulling them daily. This way, you spend three hours weeding with sweat pouring off your face, waging war against the hostile takeover, and in addition to neutralizing the weeds that have been stealing your soil’s nutrients and moisture for two weeks too long, you are getting skinny. Sweating means weight loss, so this is basically a diet plan. (Free tip: Do this without gloves, because you’ll develop blisters and callouses that communicate a Protestant work ethic and make you seem trustworthy. Be sure to casually display your callouses during job interviews, specifically after the interviewer asks about your personal weaknesses…just humbly hold out your hands and say quietly: “I work too hard.” This is essentially your ticket out of the recession.)
This was pre-summer planting. Instead of raising produce last winter, I raised FIVE CHILDREN. Thank you for understanding and for not asking why Remy is shirtless.

How to be awesome at PR:

First of all, and this really cannot be duplicated, when hosting six men from Lifeway in your home for a week to film DVDs for your Bible study, make the clever suggestion to film one session in your closet, showing how many clothes you gave away during your little project. Go ahead and get nervous and anxious about ushering all these men through your bedroom and bathroom to set up their cameras and boom mikes and cables in your actual closet. Let your anxiety simmer, even boil, because that’s when the fun happens! For instance, as they are all walking into your bedroom, if your nerves get the better of you, tell these Baptist professional men: “Well...this is where the magic happens!” (Don’t despair if they all pretend like they didn’t hear you. They will definitely not be talking about this for the rest of their lives behind your back. Your purple face and sweaty armpits will not be a dead giveaway, in any case. Carry on with the Lord’s work.)
That fancy folded towel is pure folly. ACTING, THANK YOU!

Additionally, if you want to be taken seriously as an agent of the kingdom, invite your closest friends over, your Council perhaps, to take part in this filming. Mind you, be sure to include people who could give a crap about your “Christian job” and really just want to know if they will get rich and/or famous from this. If you’re lucky, one of them will fancy herself a funny type and bring over a GALLON of margarita mix at 9:00am in the morning when the Council is scheduled for hair and makeup. Everyone will be in stitches! Because it will appear that you and your friends are nothing but lushes! Oh, the hijinks! Between the “magic” and the margaritas, you’ll ensure a nice, long career in public ministry.
The Council, from left: Trina, Molly a.k.a. Margarita Girl, Jenny, Becky, Shonna, Susana

So there you have it, good readers…how to be awesome at everything. Follow these simple tips, and you’ll be the talk of the town in no time. Listen to me, and I’ll have you swimming in success…guaranteed.

So glad to see you back here! How have you been “awesome” lately?

Holly - July 13th, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I made 4 CD's for our upcoming car trip last night instead of spending time teach my two little ones how to read - and there are awesome decisions being made daily here in this house just like that.
I feel about as mature as a 14 yr old this summer.....I was 'not good' at 14, THIS is not good.
Must be in the air if I'm not the only one.
Sheila - July 13th, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I've been awesome at pushing the limits lately. How long can I go between showers? How much time can pass before doing loads of laundry (I mean, I can always hand wash that one thing int he sink)? Can I make it a month without buying toilet paper - I mean, we have all of these papers from the end of the school year that'd just go to waste, why not use those instead?

I. heart. summer.
Teresa - July 16th, 2012 at 7:32 AM
Sheila you made me laugh! I am trying so hard to be organized, but I am not sure it is worth the effort. I get so little done that way and I always forget something anyway. Summer is a good reason to simplify. Don't sweat the small stuff!
Nicole White - July 13th, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Perfect evidence that if we don't laugh we might cry. You just keep being you, and we will just keep benefiting from it!
jodi fletcher - July 13th, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I'm just glad I'm not the only mom that lets the daughter run around shirtless in the back yard for the Summer.
Word.
Now, I'm going to go be awesome.
Jessica - July 13th, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I've been wearing the same 3 outfits, because the laundry mountain got so out of control and the sorting and the carrying of all that is JUST TOO MUCH. So i just wash the three outfits on the top. I am basically doing 7 items of clothing out of sheer laziness.
Megan Card - July 13th, 2012 at 9:39 AM
This is awe.some! Love it!
Shelly - July 13th, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I've been talking to my 15 year old son as if I'm a 15 year old myself. Smart mouth and all. Super classy and totally effective parenting. I'm pretty much on target for "Mother of the Year". Anyone who wants to learn health communication techniques when dealing with a back-talking teenager can come on over to my house. ;)
Trina {beginnerbeans} - July 13th, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Glad you're taking another shot at the blogging world :) Definitely needed more to read after "7"!
Carmen - July 13th, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I am wearing the same clothes...it's summer...I am not working...I don't care what I look like. So I am "doing" 7, but out of sheer laziness because I don't want have to do laundry! I AM AWESOME.
Andrea - July 13th, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Oooh, I've been doing that very same thing with my 13 year old daughter. Because I remember what it's like to be 13, oh yes I do, look how I can sound like a 13 year old smart aleck. Clearly, God has a sense of humour allowing me to parent four children, one of whom is four months old and you just know is soaking up all the smart-alecky goodness for when he's 13. Amen.
Susie - July 13th, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I knew I was on to something with my sporadic blog posting. I mean, after all, if I write something meaningful and thought provoking every single day - I'm just adding to the noise that's out there. People are having trouble thinking for themselves because there are so many ways for someone else to do the thinking for them. I think we are adding to the creativity of the world by remaining silent occasionally!
I think (other than filming in my closest) I'm on the Jen Hatmaker fast-track to success. I've already followed most of your advice and I'm pretty awesome, I do say so myself (and I do)
I've started 3 novels, none of which are done - or even planned out to the point where they have an ending. I've started cleaning out my dad's house - which means I had my brother pile everything in the living room so that I could sort it out at my leisure (that was in March).
Since then, I've not been back to the house BUT I've signed up to volunteer with the 5th
Janice - July 13th, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Susie,
You're ahead of me. I still have at least 5 books in my head and have only started one. I wrote the ending to a second one, does that count?
I'm headed out on my 2nd mission trip of the summer and I haven't done the project outline for the overall mission organization we're launching.
Sounds like I'm on the same track! Woohoo.
Haley - July 13th, 2012 at 10:12 AM
How to be awesome at hosting an exchange student: Sell your house the same week as she is scheduled to arrive. What better way to how them American culture than to toss them a cardboard box and say "Get packing!" The key is NOT to buy a new house yet, so that they are present to witness you and your three small children move into a 500 sq ft MIL apartment. Oh and if you're in the first trimester of pregnancy that is a cherry on top, because you'll be grouchy, exhausted, and nauseated during the whole process, so the student really gets to see "the real you" and you don't have to feel guilty for putting on a fake front of niceness. Yay!
michelle - July 13th, 2012 at 10:55 AM
You are awesome! :)
Sarah aka @MainlineMom - July 13th, 2012 at 10:16 AM
LOVE this. Lately I have been most awesome at hanging out with my 92 year old grandma while my grandpa was in the hospital. She is extremely hard of hearing AND has a touch of dementia. So I awesomely asked her if she needed to use the restroom before we left a restaurant...got a major lecture for that. And I awesomely told her the doctor had called me, not her, to give medical updates on my grandpa. That pleased her immensely...not.
Jennifer - July 13th, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Fantastic!

Kristen - July 13th, 2012 at 10:33 AM
My 12 year old came to me and said that my 2 year old had pulled back the waistband of the aforementioned 12 year old's shorts and underwear, looked down her pants, said, 'Nope. You're good,' and then patted her on the bottom. I said, "Yeah, I might have had something to do with that. Let me know if she starts looking down the front of people's pants. Until then, carry on." I am awesome.
Karen - July 15th, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Holy cow...that's hilarious!
Deborah - July 16th, 2012 at 5:41 PM
That is too funny! I haven't laughed that hard in a while! My children came running into the room to see why I was howling with tears rolling down my checks, now i have to find a new place to hide from them!
Carolyn - July 21st, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Seriously howling with laughter - you are awesome!
Toni - April 15th, 2013 at 11:35 PM
That is hysterical! :)
Joan - July 13th, 2012 at 10:35 AM
You're awesome at being funny. Does that count for anything? Hope you post again sometime soon.
Emily - July 13th, 2012 at 11:03 AM
I put off doing my "indoor chores" to work on "outdoor chores" instead. Then I had my three younger sisters over to watch them for my parents and the SIX YEAR OLD told me that my house was a wreck and I really needed to vacuum.
I have 32 pages to illustrate for a children's book and I haven't started. But the cover is done, that makes the rest awesome too.
I went to the gym for the first time in about 3 weeks yesterday. But that's ok, because surely I got a better work out because I had to shock my body into it. Right? Right?
There is more awesomeness, but I don't know if you could handle it all. Bring on the awesome. We'll try to keep up.
Stephanie - July 13th, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Thanks for he laugh. That magic comment is totally something I would do! And turn as red as a tomato for the rest of my life.
Candi - July 13th, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I've been being awesome at making sure my kids bathe. On the trampoline. With the sprinkler. And sometimes with that 3-in-1 shampoo/ conditioner/ body wash.
Jennifer Main - July 13th, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Love it jen! You always keep it real! Can't wait to hear you speak in Olathe next week!
Claire - July 13th, 2012 at 12:04 PM
I've been convincing myself pyjamas are a valid outfit choice.
Katrina - July 13th, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Um . . . well, I just figured out that Summer of 7 is actually a gigantic program of blogging about fasting, which is kind of the opposite of going into a closet and keeping the whole thing hush-hush and humble. Oops. Trying to scrape some spiritual lessons up out of the ashes in spite of this. ;)

However, I actually think it IS awesome to blog sporadically. More readers tune it to random posts than regular ones written like the loyal dog who will always be there. It's the same reason kids swarm the ice cream truck even if there is ice cream in the freezer. They didn't know the truck was coming and they don't know when he'll be back. Consistency is the true opiate of the masses. ;)
Anita - July 13th, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I tried a new chicken recipe involving brown sugar and red wine, but my husband was late getting home from work, so I added more wine to keep it from drying out and I also turned down the temp to keep it from burning. Outcome: not a hot enough temp to burn off the alcohol. Enjoy, my four pre-teen children. And also have fun at youth group tonight!
JustBetty - July 13th, 2012 at 6:26 PM
[ this comment just made my day! ]
Nicole - July 13th, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Sounds like my summer parenting is way more awesome than I realized! Only 6 more weeks for my awesomeness to shine on my 3 kids before they head back to school.
Alexis - July 13th, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Ohhh, thank you. This is an amazing post. Let me tell you, I have been REALLY awesome at parenting our 1 and almost-3 year old kids while we gut/remodel a house and prepare to move into it. My choices to take on WAY too many other things and plan to organize/sell 60% of our belongings next week before packing for our move (2 weeks away), as well as my general stress level, impatience, and inability to get a decent meal on the table (ever?) is teaching them valuable lessons about how they aren't the center of the universe. Thankfully my kids are too young to harbor memories of this time in their lives - the emotional scarring will be there, but they won't know why!
stacie - July 13th, 2012 at 1:22 PM
"the emotional scarring will be there, but they won't know why!" - Cracked. Me. Up.

Keep up the good work!
Allen - July 13th, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I am gonna have to suggest that you lighten up, write with a little sarcasm and be more transparent. :-)
Camille - July 13th, 2012 at 2:07 PM
I'm awesome at house-cleaning. To achieve my level of perfection, you need to pretty much avoid cleaning your floors at all times. That way, the dirt tracked in by two teenagers, the hubs, and two dogs mixes in complete harmony with the crushed Cheerios, smeared banana, and goldfish contributed by the toddler. If you choose the grout color for the kitchen tile carefully, the mess really just enhances the look.

Also, perhaps in a testament to my awesome mothering, my toddler has become a biter. Baby Jaws. Little Miss Chompers. Team Edward baby. There are so many adorable monikers to be earned from this new habit. And I'm doing you such a huge favor every time I bring her to a play date. I mean, she's teaching defense to other kids, so you're welcome. Your kids will be so much more wary of strangers after she takes a little nibble, and she may even share a few germs, as well. I'll be happy to tell you where to send the thank-you card for your child's healthier immunity.

Thanks so much Jen for sharing your awesomeness! It gave this perfectly imperfect mom a good belly-laugh (which I'm counting as an ab workout for the day), and made me feel better about my own amazing mom skills. :-)
Melissa - July 13th, 2012 at 2:40 PM
I am awesome at my super-healthy diet. I cracked open the tub of cream cheese frosting because I had refused to buy my favorite sweets. This is really genius, because nobody looks at you strangely when you buy 5 tubs of frosting with no cake boxes (like I would even think of making a cake from scratch), because they assume you are making lots of cakes from scratch. Glad I could pass along this super diet tip. You are most welcome.
Carmen - July 13th, 2012 at 3:27 PM
I am awesome at babysitting! I took a 2 year old and 4 year old to the library today. We read books, we did crafts, we played at the computer stations. I chased the two year old around and came back to get the 4 year old...and what do I see? POOP under his chair. What happened? His response, "Well, computers are more fun than going to the bathroom." Getting things cleaned up I realize that he POOPED in the toddler room, WALKED to get a book, POOPED there, and then walked to the computer station. Yes, I am AWESOME at babysitting.
Nicole Jasien - July 13th, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Oh my gosh I love you....... My friend and I totally have a girl crush on you up here in ft. worth :)
Kathy - July 13th, 2012 at 10:04 PM
This was perfect for today. I want to cry that summer is pretty much over, my house is a disaster, and I have accomplished none of the projects I said I would this summer. the list is still long, but now I don't feel alone! I can still be awesome!
Sher Sutherland - July 13th, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I am awesome at FB-ing about "7". I have tried to limit myself to just one "about 7" or quote a day and I've been a dismal failure (not awesome). When I posted about the sans media month, and even quoted you about saving time by texting, or not, one of my friends responded with a comment on how much time I was NOT saving by constantly posting on FB about my "7" revelations and quoting you. I replied: "At this point I'm just reading. Maybe I'm recruiting a team to move to the next level with me?" It's probably safe to say that she will not be on MY council. AND, I am happy to report that I inspired one friend so much that she downloaded your book to her tablet during a Sunday service--yes at church, during the message--and she finished the first chapter before the service was over. After the service she came over and gave me a big kiss on the cheek. That was awesome.
Kirsten - July 13th, 2012 at 10:27 PM
If all you say is true, than I really am awesome. Honestly, I make my husband sit still and listen to me read 7, and now your blog. I giggle/snort my way through it and then get really quiet. He knows that's when you're making your point and I'm getting convicted. I love your writing style. It's like we're sitting down for coffee and dishing except I talk back to you and you can't hear me.
Beth - July 22nd, 2012 at 4:03 PM
HA! that is what i do to my husband and how I feel too! Glad to know i am not talking by myself!
Jeni - July 13th, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Ok Sister...I am eating sushi, drinking a glass of wine and howling with laughter as I tell my husband we are soooo moving to Texas because you are destined to be my best friend!!! Thanks for the laughs friend...I love you!!

Courtney Davis - July 14th, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Jen! I am moved by you and so thankful for your willingness to let God transform your heart and share it with others. God has used your writings in my life in a huge way. My husband and I are in a major season of change as you and Brandon were in "interrupted". In one part you wrote about how you couldn't even lay your children down at night without being broken for those who had no where to sleep... Yep, that's me alright. It goes right along with not being able to enjoy eating anymore because of the many starving all around me. I'm in a place where God is calling me to the bottom. No more of me and my junk. Just Christlikeness. You may not see this response but I couldnt figure out another way to contact you. I wanted to encourage you in your ministry and have the chance to maybe ask you a couple questions. Lord knows your crazy busy but this girl could use some Godly wisdom from someone who has walked this walk before me. Im a mess of tears and desire for change! Its totally awesome this getting to the bottom stuff but it's lonely and frustrating at the same time. Anyways, I'm praying this finds you and that you find me!
Amy Tilson - July 14th, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Our awesome is working on rhymes and music - it's amazing how many commercials my 3.5 year old knows by heart!! ;-/ This was so funny!
Jennifer - July 14th, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Freakin' peed my pants...not only because I birthed 5 kiddios which is a whole other story but because this was hilariously in tune with my life right now...

...I did check back with you regularly (I wondered if in my lack of computer savvy if I had bookmarked the wrong URL and kept hitting the blog button just to be sure). If it makes you feel any better, I started a blog over a year ago. Posted roughly 3 entries (one spouting the joys of being obedient to God's call for me to write said blog) and then disappeared. My next entry will be appropriately titled "M.I.A." if I ever get to it, that is.

...I do have five kids home for the summer without any semblance of structure or schedule. I claim to be embracing my inner flexible-self when really I am just stinkin' lazy. Why does my oldest choose to play his PS3 when there are so many interesting chores to be done?

...Ooooooh, the garden. If weeds were a commodity, I would be a rich woman. Why bother planting plants I will forget to water when the weeds stay sooooo green?

Thanks for the vulnerability and the chuckles....glad to have you back!
Marla Taviano - July 14th, 2012 at 3:16 PM
I've been unbelievable this summer. I'll spare you the details. I'd hate to have you hatin'.
Corie - July 14th, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Love the half-dressed children in the backyard. That is totally how my children are clothed (unless they are still in jammies)!!
Painted Maypole - July 14th, 2012 at 9:56 PM
I have been awesomely late for everything this summer. If running late counted as exercise, I could give up weeding.
Tess - July 14th, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I am so awesome.....I signed up for a 325 mile bike trip. Nevermind that I am 42, don't exercise, and am about 60 pounds overweight. NO PROBLEM! I got this! ;)

Susanelizabeth - July 14th, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I suck at awesomeness. So, maybe that means I am awesome. At something. I think. By the way, I read 7 a while back. Now my husband and I are reading it together. Now, he thinks you're awesome. Well, that'll pass once I read this blog to him.
Lauren - July 15th, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Well, my husband and I felt super awesome when we realized Friday night that we hadn't bathed our kiddos since MONDAY! I nearly died.
Tricia - July 15th, 2012 at 10:33 AM
I LOVE this post. Thanks for making me feel more awesome today....
Nanette - July 15th, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Getting ready to bring home two boys from Colombia who don't speak a word of English to hree big brothers who do, so super excited about the parenting tips.
Anne - July 16th, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Lol, you're funny...:) at least you STARTED a garden...sigh...
Kate - July 17th, 2012 at 6:05 AM
I am so awesome that I spend the summer instead of taking my kids out into the wilderness and lakes around our town, I let them play for hours with the children on the street while I lie on the bed and wallow in feeling poor/broke-down car/worthless/no fun/like a terrible mom/like I am wasting my chance at taking them out into nature while they are children and actually want to play with me. Then when they come to see me I tell them to go play.

What self-sufficiency skills they are learning! What leadership roles with the neighborhood kids! What a role model of an independent woman I am! Awesome. Oh, and did I mention I decided to home school them. And get a puppy. So the fun can continue ALL YEAR LONG. Awesome.
Laura - July 17th, 2012 at 9:24 AM
HaHa. You have me actually laughing out loud. Thanks for your awesomeness and willingness to share it with us.
Amy - July 18th, 2012 at 5:04 PM
How to be an awesome mom to a little 5 year old girl who you adopted less than a year ago and who is still trying to attach/bond to her new mama, learn English, and attend her first summer camp? Take a 12-day "trip of a lifetime" to England. Just you and your sister. Not your husband and kids. Whose trip of a lifetime, you ask? Certainly not your daughter's. :/
amy
Kristen - July 18th, 2012 at 5:38 PM
It is probably rude to comment twice on one post, but for real, I posted this as my fb status today: "the left side of my bed is now on cinder blocks...it's a long story...just wanted you to know that we're keeping it classy..." And in my head, they all knew that the "classy" referred to the cinder block-propped bed and that the four rambunctious children broke the bed by jumping on it, but in reality, they didn't. "This is where the magic happens" moment. I am awesome.
lindsay - July 19th, 2012 at 12:37 PM
first of all i lurrvvv that you do not speak Christian-ese. it's a big ole gust of fresh air. mmm...mmm...i am i can still feel the winds breathing life even after i read this. i don't know if i love your tips because they are applicable or infused with downright honesty. i sift through these ole blogs trying to find someone that scripts with authenticity and then unabashed-ly airs their flaws not for attention but for the sake of transparency. i do indeed think i hit the jackpot. awesomeness is knowing we can live perfectly imperfect lives--love this post and all your tips! :)lindsay
jill - July 20th, 2012 at 12:05 PM
A merry heart is like a medicine--you are quite the antidote to a south life! Thanks for returning to the blogosphere and brightening my day:-) I love your transparency and sarcastic humor--as someone else said, you keep it real and that is SO refreshing. Helps the rest of us to not feel like losers, well, at least that we're not alone!
Emily - July 22nd, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Oh my gosh. I don't know you, but please can we be friends. I just laughed a real laugh - like I haven't had in ages. I feel totally awesome!
Dawn - July 29th, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Ha! I'm so awesome, that I'm JUST reading this!! Yep, I rock. Or is that kick rocks? Thanks for your transparency. I feel better about my sporadic, generic template, newly controversial blog. Now to start summer reading before school next week...
Kristen - August 2nd, 2012 at 5:26 PM
I like to come here sporadically to post my new awesomeness. Because it is kind of fun. Here is my latest awesome: I went to see a new doctor yesterday, and when I am slightly nervous, I talk (more than I usually do). As she was looking at my chart, she asked the seemingly innocuous, "Do you plan to have any more children?" There was a long pause from me and then, "Well, I guess that depends on who you ask in our family. But, I do have a not-so-secret plot to go to Haiti on a mission trip and bring home an adorable black baby in my backpack." And in my head, I was all, "Oh, no! Overshare! Over.Share! Just answer 'yes' or 'no'!" But it was too late. She nodded her head and said, "I see." Then she jotted something in my chart which I am now convinced said "possible kidnapping suspect." And after I left, I am sure she color-coded my chart with whatever color they use for crazy...