Will You Take a Trip With Me?
by Jen Hatmaker on October 4th, 2012

I know, I know. All you want to do is watch election coverage on CNN day in and day out. It’s all so reasonable and non-polarizing (more on this later, good readers). It’s so edifying to watch your Hatebook feed plunge entirely off the edge of civility during these final weeks of the campaigns. “How I wish the election season could be longer!” said no regular person ever.

May I offer an alternative next week?

If you aren’t convinced that the fate of God’s dominion rests upon the American election, if you’d prefer glimpses of the kingdom to the political posturing hijacking every mode of media, I’d like to invite you to come with me next week…to Haiti.

It is with no small amount of loyalty that I join the inaugural blog tour with Help One Now all next week. Along with six other bloggers, three filmmakers and photographers, and three team leaders, we are heading to Haiti to tell the stories of the people, celebrate their spirit, champion their cause, and worship with our brothers and sisters. My fellow bloggers are:

Jennie Allen
Sarah Bessey
Mary DeMuth
Kristen Howerton
Deidra Riggs
Duane Scott

We are going to see incredible work and incredible need, which is daunting. I’m so hungry to lend my voice to the people of Haiti but so reluctant to mishandle their dignity in any way. I want to treat their stories with great care, not as an American writer with a laptop but as a sister and friend and advocate. It is with a tender heart I travel south to the poorest country in the western hemisphere, knowing that alongside debilitating poverty I will also find beauty, warmth, hope, and courage.

Will you join me?

You can find out more on our Help One Now page.

I’d LOVE for you to grab a Help badge for your blog; every one of us has a voice to use for kingdom work.

You can also follow us on Twitter; we'll be using the hashtag: #Help1Haiti

Will you follow our blogs next week? We’ll be posting every night, and as you might imagine, we need not fly to Haiti to seek justice for its people. I’ll be sharing all sorts of ways we can act justly for this country that has endured such suffering. When we truly recognize and love the mercy we’ve been shown, we will love it for everyone else.

So if you want a better place to invest your emotional energy than the debates, come with me to Haiti. Pray with me to see God’s kingdom come.

Will you pray for us? Will you pray for Haiti? I believe God is instilling a love for Haiti in the hearts of His American disciples. Mighty are His plans for this country. Can't wait to bring you with me, friends.

Lori H - October 4th, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I look forward to your trip. I will pray for you, Jen!
Sharon - October 4th, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Looking forward to reading every post and praying for the people of Haiti.
Christy - October 4th, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Jennifer@GDWJ - October 4th, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Yes, Jen.... I am already praying. I had so hoped to join your crew on this trip this fall, but because of our farm harvest, I was unable to commit. My prayers go with you.
Linda - October 4th, 2012 at 1:39 PM
I will be following your posts with eager expectation. I don't Twitter, so please keep writing in the Blog. Facebook updates would be good, too.

I traveled to Haiti way back in 1976, and it was a life-changing event for me. I now sponsor 2 Compassion children in Haiti, and would love to go visit them.

Which areas are you going to?

Sarah Babcock - October 4th, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I love Haiti, and will for sure be following all of the posts! I just got back from being there over the summer and I am heading back in December. I can't wait!
Sharron - October 4th, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Is a film being made as well?
We too have a heart for Haiti!!
MBS - October 4th, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Will definitely follow. Haiti stole my heart and I look forward to going next summer.
Julia Leinen - October 4th, 2012 at 1:46 PM
praying for ya'll to have a blessed journey and for lives to be impacted
Kristen - October 4th, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Waaaaaaaaaahhhhh...our son is currently in a fantastic creche in Haiti waiting for us to bring him HOME! Praying for your journey there and that you all can bring awareness to this beautiful and damaged country.
Sarah Bessey - October 4th, 2012 at 1:54 PM
I'm so thankful for you, my friend. I have so much to learn, and you've written my own heart (and fears) out here. Looking forward to walking these roads with you.
Jen Hatmaker - October 4th, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Couldn't be happier to be going with you. Praying for you by name this week...
Kara - October 4th, 2012 at 1:55 PM
We are in process of adopting two kiddos from Haiti. I'm so thankful for you and others that are willing to talk about Haiti with dignity and respect. Thank you!!
laura - October 4th, 2012 at 1:57 PM
I will be praying! I feel like all my favorite women are going...I am doing "Stuck" at church, "7" for book club and rageagainsttheminivan was the first blog I followed! Thank you for sharing with us.
Kelly S - October 4th, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I'll be in Haiti Oct 9-17 with Samaritan's Purse (my 3rd trip) . Bless you for loving Haiti.
Bethany - October 4th, 2012 at 2:28 PM
We have a daughter in Haiti whom we don't yet know... Hope your time there is a blessed one!
Stephanie - October 4th, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Id love to come along! Will you be seeing the livesays while you're there? I follow both of you on twitter and I've been following their blog for years now. Pretty much love everything both of you have to say.
Jamie - October 4th, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I sponsor the sweetest little guy Jon in Tent City, I know he will feel your presence and love while you are there.
Positively Alene - October 4th, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Praying for you all!!! I so want to go next time. My blog and camera are itching for Haiti. I know you all will bless many and be. so. thankful. you're going to miss all this election hoopla!!!
Flower Patch Farmgirl - October 4th, 2012 at 4:09 PM
My head is about to explode. (And not just because of the election.) I can't wait to follow, and will absolutely do so barring any last-minute decision on your part to bring me along in your carry on. (I will not speak during the flight.) Will you please pet Jennie Allen's hair for me? (I'm asking her to do the same to you, fyi.)

ps - You watched Half the Sky this week, yes?
Jen Hatmaker - October 4th, 2012 at 6:39 PM
That is not at all creepy.
Jennie Allen - October 4th, 2012 at 10:17 PM
i will hug you Jen- will not pet your head.
Lisa - October 4th, 2012 at 5:18 PM
I can't wait to follow the blogs! I love yours and I love your book! I wouldn't miss this!
Jennie Allen - October 4th, 2012 at 6:05 PM
So thrilled to do this beside you friend. Love you to the moon.
Jen Hatmaker - October 4th, 2012 at 6:39 PM
...and back. Until Monday, my friend.
Ann Voskamp - October 4th, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Jennie! Jen! Is Jesus going to be EXALTED! And Mary DeMuth? That woman pioneers. And talking over a meal with Deidra Riggs just about had my heart explode. Duane'll write and he's a truthteller and Sarah Bessey's Canadian so there isn't much ore to say ;) I'm looking forward to meeting Kristen.

And our Jesus goes before and He'll ask you never to forget your kin in Haiti and you'll weep and you'll say never, Lord --- please never let me forget. I won't forget you, Lord...

Yes, following --- wherever Jesus calls.

You are loved -- -by Jesus, and this Cross-clinging sister...
Jen Hatmaker - October 6th, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Thank you, Ann. You are a treasure to us.
nicki - October 4th, 2012 at 7:34 PM
I went to Haiti in February and fell in love with the children. If you ever want a test in creativity, try painting an orphanage while holding a child on your back, one in you lap, and one with his hand in you paint bucket. I hope to go back and visit these children again one day.
jamie ivey - October 4th, 2012 at 8:23 PM
excited about this blog tour!
Chris Marlow - October 4th, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Jamie Ivey,

As I told Aaron before, it's you all's story that inspired us to go to Haiti. You are the reason this bloggers trip is happening.
Monica - October 4th, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Are you going to Ferrier?
Monica Gonzalez - October 4th, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Ferrier suffered a great loss last week, when a beloved leader, Jackson Nelson, passed away while receiving medical treatment in the US. I pray that God will use you and your team to comfort the people of Ferrier and fill them with a renewed sense of hope.
Meredith - October 4th, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Following, praying and so proud of you. Can't wait to tune in and experience the journey with you from afar!
Susanelizabeth - October 4th, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Yes! Yes! Am on board. Praying(and of course, feeling some envy) for your trip. Minister and be ministered too. We have your back...
Ashley - October 5th, 2012 at 9:10 AM
So great! I will surely be reading.
I just returned from Kenya and a medical mission there. It was life-changing and challenging. Writing about it on my blog and trying to find a balance and an honorable way to write about the amazing, graceful, beautiful people I met there.
Blessings to you on your trip!
Shelley - October 5th, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Praying you have a trip that moves hearts to the assistance of this beautiful country! I'm interested in adopting from Haiti once hubby and I meet the requirements.
Rebecca - October 5th, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, Jesus...once again you show yourself in even the smallest way. Jen, I am sitting at my dining room table with a mound of paperwork on my right, 4 (overwhelming looking) books on parenting the internationally adopted child on my left, and the picture of 2 beautiful boys in my hands. Sunday night we received our referral - twin almost-4-year-old boys in Haiti; truly one of the most beautiful moments of my life. But now it's Friday and the "high" has worn off and now I'm just mired in the WORK part of it, getting through yet more documents (for some reason I thought that part was sort-of, kind-of done once the dossier was submitted), listening to a pediatric specialist tell me all the horrible "possibilities" of bringing these children into my home as if I haven't been told this enough, and the SITTING, looking at a picture and ACHING to hold them when in reality it will be Spring before we walk through the doors of my home together as a family. Then I open your blog (avoidance is the best medicine, right?) and my heart stops: Haiti. Why does the God of the Universe care about me wallowing in my self-pity? It blows my mind to try and fathom it. But my Creator cares...and knew I needed to hear this, that thousands need to hear this. Tell their story well, Jen...I will be hanging on every word.
WICK - October 5th, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Hope the trip goes well, and may God's Kingdom come through it! I heard a little about Haiti this morning on the radio to work, concerning to two different organizations that have begun producing the special "peanut butter". Apparently, they're gonna have more than they need soon. :)
@OdysseyMamaC - October 5th, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Mmmkay. I know I should say something spiritual and wise, but I'm just gonna go with, "Wahooo! A whole mess of my favorite bloggers together for a week doing God's work?!?!" I cannot wait to read every single word from you ladies. Each of you are blogging superstars on your own, so with your powers combined...well, the possibilities are scary-awesome. Captain Planet proportions, ya know? ;-) Praying you have a safe journey free from illness or difficulty. Praying that after a long day, you find exactly the right words to convey the thousand emotions in your heart. Praying that your words help open the minds and hearts of many, many people to compassion, service, and love.
Kourt - October 5th, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Cannot wait to read. Thanks for sharing with us. We are on the adoption journey and are hearing about a child from Haiti. Praying for you,
(And, Ann Voskamp commented on your blog. How freakin' cool are you?!? Yep, had to say it.)
Kim - October 7th, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Delighted to follow. Thank you for participating. I am so excited to see and read. Half my heart is always in Haiti;) I'm in that psycho waiting period of adoption, so PLEASE if you visit any Creche's hug those babies extra tight...um...and if by some crazy chance you see the cutest little one and a half year old in the world named Christian Willy, pet his head, kiss his cheeks,...I mean just love all over him and please whisper in his little ears that momma and papa are coming just as SOON as we possibly can! (and if that somehow crazily really does happen- email me a recent picture and tell me if he's walking yet;)
Margaret - October 8th, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Can't wait to read about it!
Deborah - October 9th, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Jen, I'm in Haiti now with a medical team from Tennessee. We're at Habitat Hatt. Would love to see what you're involved with here. Any chance we could connect here?