The Upside (and Lighter Side) of Haiti
by Jen Hatmaker on October 11th, 2012

When I read Mike Rusch’s first blog from this week in Haiti, I told him the next morning: “I loved your blog. So manly. Bullet points, facts, short sentences, action steps. My blog was 1300 words of emoting.” Good reader, you are not a machine. I cannot expect you to keep coming back day after day for this punishment. You have jobs and children; you can’t be crying into your laptop all day long.

Here is the good news: Haiti is beautiful, joyful, hilarious, hopeful. People laugh here too. Folks are onery and silly and happy and sarcastic. Goodness abounds in the midst of struggle. There is so much to celebrate. (And confess.)

Therefore, I give you the highlight reel. Grab a Prestige and enjoy:

First World Problems: Excerpts from Actual Conversations This Week

“Oh my gosh! I’m so hot! Why is it so hot here? I have rivers of sweat running down my back. Can you point the air vent this way a bit? How do those tap-tap people do it??”

“Surely I am not out of antibacterial gel again. How am I supposed to touch my sandwich?”

“If you guys wake up tomorrow morning and discover a vicious chicken massacre in the streets, look the other way.”

“Internet down again. Can’t stream Downton Abbey.”

“Why are these roads so bumpy?? I think Help One Now needs to offer a massage voucher for blog trips from now on.”

“Is it okay to drink this delicious fresh-squeezed pineapple juice? I forgot to bring antidiarrheal medicine and I just don’t know how to deal with bowel distress in this country.”

“It’s so hard to nap here.”

“Guys, don’t use that peppermint soap while taking your cold shower. Double whammy. I think I just developed mild hypothermia and I’m pretty sure my heart stopped beating for forty seconds.”

“Have you ever been snarked on by that hate site for your blog? Mean people make me sad. And also all this poverty, of course.”

(On a video project for Help One Now) Blogger #1: “I can’t speak on camera.” Blogger #2: “Why do you hate the orphans?”

Happy, Hopeful, Hilarious Haitian Things

The sound of children reading in unison in their tent school.

Salting chocolate ice cream. Thank you, Kristen. Our lives are changed.

Baskets of shallots and just-picked carrots on the side of the road.

Big, floppy bows in every little girl’s hair.

The sound of Creole. It’s like a lullaby.

A litany of inappropriate comments followed by: “Tweet that.”

Troy and Tara Livesay and the remarkable work of Heartline. BFF alert.

Little Haitian hands writing letters to sponsors with such concentration.

Heroes who stayed. They are everywhere here.

Heroes who keep coming to help. We traveled with them this week.

Van conversation ranging from zombie ethics to prison tattoos. Ask Jacob.

Big dreams. Dreaming with big dreamers. Dreams rising.

A worship service in the middle of Tent City. Beauty from ashes.

The roads. (This one is a lie.)

Haitian pastors. These men will be famous in heaven.

“Bonjour…” “Bonsoir…” Sing it. It’s the only way.

Help One Now. These are the gospel-bearers Jesus spoke of.

“If I had the power to put all the orphans in one safe place, I would. But I will wait on God who has all the power and loves us.” ~Pastor Gaetan

Kristen’s Aunt Janet. This induced a hysterical laughing fit at 2:30am.

Our Haitian crushes, I mean, translators. Cougar alert. Dario, Rodney, Jay, Evens. Love.

The dogged, resilient spirit of Haiti. You can’t believe it.

The hills. OH MY GOSH, the hills.

Haitian school uniforms. And the backpacks. The cute factor is too much.

The women of this country. They work so hard. Proud of my sisters.

Bigfoot costume. Ask Jacob again.

Pure Charity. Just you wait until I tell you about these guys. Mike Rusch. The end.

Tent City, down from 60,000 to 20,000.

Prestige toasts in the van every night. Grime, sweat, exhaustion, Haitian beer. Cheers.

Haitian artists, creatives, writers, musicians.

New friends: Haitian, American, Canadian. I’m in love.

The Kid’s Home bunkroom for girls that looked like a Tiger Beat explosion. Girls are girls, precious everywhere they live.

The humility and deference shown by every single Haitian leader we met.

The homerun that an iPhone is in the hands of children worldwide.

Mary’s descriptor of her wedding night. You’ll have to ask her.

Our photographers and filmmakers who laid on their bellies in the dirt and sun and crouched on hillsides and showcased all the beautiful things. Mollie, Chris, Scott. Super stars.

The astonishing balance thing Haitians can do with giant buckets of things on their heads. Feats of strength!

Pastor St. Cyr to his people after the earthquake: “This is not God’s judgment, and He still loves us.” Man of God, we honor you.

The love for God in this place. It is a marvel. The faithful live here.

Avocados, red beans and rice, Creole sauce, fried potatoes, pumpkin soup, cheese grits, corn with lime, braised chicken, plantains. All this went into our mouths.

Prestige. Oh wait, I already said that.

This team. I will never, ever forget this week with you. I love you. Belong to me.

Readers who say: Yes. Moved. Moving. Praying. Listening. Caring. THIS.

Children doing their homework in Tent City. Let hope rise.

Bret’s prophetic word over dinner that left us UNDONE: “Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” (Lamentations 3:22-23). Amen.

The people of Haiti, the land, the heart, the hope of God here. I am at your service.

The American Church, who I’ve been so proud of this week. You have mattered in Haiti so much, and you matter still. Rise up, Church.

Considering sponsorship? This is the sustainable engine that keeps the monthly wheels on at Yaveh Shamma Kid’s Home. Click here to SIGN UP IMMEDIATELY, I mean, for more info. Please stay tuned, for the team has a Legacy Project to pitch, and you’re going to want a piece of this action.

HAVE YOU BEEN TO HAITI? Add to the list! What beautiful things do you love about Haiti? (Or feel free to add to our First World Problems list…don’t imagine humor doesn’t abound down here too.)

Alison - October 11th, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Awesome! I truly wish I was there. Haiti Cherie...
Jennifer@GDWJ - October 11th, 2012 at 10:51 PM
"Tent City, down from 60,000 to 20,000."
Jennifer@GDWJ - October 11th, 2012 at 10:57 PM
And oh ... One very funny First-World meets Third-World moment. I was trying to wake up my little four-year-old Haitian friend, Jeffte, in our hotel room one morning. He would not.wake.up. Just so cuddled in and sweet, but we needed to go... So I sprawled out on his bed, took out my iPhone, and had the Talking Tom app talk to him in English, telling him to wake up. He was in awe. So then, he asked his Daddy, "does that cat talk in Creole?" Indeed, when he spoke to the cat on my phone, it answered right back-- in Creole. :) He played with Talking Tom all day long.

Dan King - October 13th, 2012 at 11:59 AM
LOL! I love this Jennifer!
Justin - October 11th, 2012 at 11:02 PM
"Readers who say: Yes. Moved. Moving. Praying. Listening. Caring. THIS." All I can think of right now is Elora Ramirez. ;)
Elora - October 12th, 2012 at 9:08 AM
You know me well. I just can't help it. Jen and Sarah steal the words right out of my heart so all I have left to say is left in a word.
erin a. - October 11th, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Beautiful! Thanks for the peek into your trip & the smile & the hope. God is GOOD!
Tray P. (wooohoooo) - October 11th, 2012 at 11:38 PM
It's amazing how good, bad beer tastes in Haiti! Bonswa!
Rachel R - October 11th, 2012 at 11:45 PM
%u201CBonjour%u2026%u201D %u201CBonsoir%u2026%u201D Sing it. It%u2019s the only way...I don't think I've ever said it in a normal voice, once you hear it, it's too catching to not sing it. :)
"Avocados, red beans and rice, Creole sauce, fried potatoes, pumpkin soup, cheese grits, corn with lime, braised chicken, plantains." All that! And the fresh pineapple and Rebo coffee. Thank the good Lord for the Rebo.
Melissa Schendel - October 12th, 2012 at 3:22 AM
**Crying** I want to go!! I know the experience from mission trips I've done to Dominican Republic & Panama, but I want to go to Haiti now! I want some of that food, too, sounds awesome :)
Sarah Davison - October 12th, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Jen, you are so precious. I love your readings, and I'm in love with Haiti now too. I'm going to sign up for a trip with HelpOneNow, and start sponsoring a child there ASAP! I met you at DotMom a few weeks ago, after you spoke the first night. Life. Changing. Weekend. Praying!!!
Jen Hatmaker - October 12th, 2012 at 11:36 AM
YES, GIRL!!!!! Thank you so much!!! So happy. This made my day.
Mealprepp - October 12th, 2012 at 7:19 AM
First world comments while in Haiti...standing in Epidor looking at the 3 ice cream favors, pink, white and brown. Someone on our team in all seriousness asks, "do they have butter pecan?"
Another one..."do you think my cell phone will be on roaming here?"
This blog is amazing Jen! You have captured Haiti at the core of who they are as a country and people.
Ashley M. - October 12th, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Okay, you did make me laugh in this one, but then you made me cry again. I swear, I cannot read you at work; people come to my office and have to ask me what's wrong when they see me all red-nosed and watery-eyed. Really, though, thank you for your words that move me so much. You are awesome and inspiring and real and I love, love, love your writing!!!
Lorraine - October 12th, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Love!!!! My husband and daughter are in Honduras this week, meeting their sponsor children...today actually! Seeing the love no matter the country! Our youth pastor and family are heading to Haiti to raise up a youth ministry there and a dear friend there who is Pres. of Emmaus Bible Seminary - changing hearts for God! What an incredible experience!!! Keep on keeping on!!!!
Karen - October 12th, 2012 at 9:22 AM
The singing...the sound of the Haitian people singing is like nothing I'd ever heard before. It comes back to my memory time and time again. Sweet and loud and full of passion.
KM - October 12th, 2012 at 10:27 AM
The two most beautiful things in Haiti for me are the two children we are waiting for...C and L, mama and daddy are coming!
Vicki - October 12th, 2012 at 10:53 AM
You are SO funny, thanks for the laugh. But, I'm still crying in my laptop... Praying for you all.
Kylie - October 12th, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Thanks for trying but I still cried... AND laughed! ;) thank you for your words. They change hearts. "Rise us, Church." I'm moved and praying!
Sarah - October 12th, 2012 at 11:56 AM
YAY! I have been following all the bloggers this week as I have a deep love for Haiti and it's people! I have loved that country since my childhood and was finally able to visit in August with my husband. I felt the SAME as you have this week. Such poverty, pain, and destruction that is covered with JOY and RESILIANCE, and LOVE. I will be traveling again in February and cannot wait to hug on my new friends!
So excited for what your trip and Help ONE Now will produce in Haiti!!
Kelleigh Black - October 12th, 2012 at 12:01 PM
So excited that you got to go and now you know......Haiti is to be known %u2764. I go again in Nov. to visit my boys...... Trip #13........maybe my last before they come home! Ps prestige is a very main reason I am able to keep going back! Have a safe trip home. Xoxo
Erin - October 12th, 2012 at 12:15 PM
As a first-timer to your blog, this absolutely warmed my heart. I have been to Haiti for a week each of the past 3 summers. I love it so. My favorite "tweet that inappropriate comment" from this past July, when our team was debriefing regarding that day's evangelism:
"Dave witnessed to a guy in his underwear..."
"WHY DID YOU TAKE YOUR PANTS, OFF, DAVE?!"

Allison G - October 12th, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Yes, "Bonjour" and "Bonsoir" MUST be sung. Why is that?! I always ask myself after it comes out of my mouth. Thanks for sharing the real Haiti with your readers. You nailed it. The enemy is certainly here, hard at work. But our Lord loves these people and has not forgotten or forsaken them. Jen, God used you to help guide me here to Haiti long-term. So, thanks. I am forever interrupted. And never been more happier or fulfilled.
Bethany - October 12th, 2012 at 1:07 PM
What I love in Haiti... a little girl we haven't met yet, and the orphanage that cares for her tender heart until the day we get to bring her home.
Lori - October 12th, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Wonderful wonderful post, I have been following all the blog posts fervently. Loved this absolutely, heroes all.
Rebekah - October 12th, 2012 at 1:22 PM
I love the smell that hits you as soon as you walk off the plane. When I went as an intern, I expected to come back thinner and came back fatter - love Creole sauce. Miss the people and the beautiful sounds of their language and singing.
Katie Blackburn - October 12th, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Love this- the laughter, the empathy, the reality, the hope... thank you for sharing everything you have about your trip. I want to go. Like tomorrow.
Shelly Miller - October 12th, 2012 at 1:30 PM
You had me laughing all the way through, tearful at the end. What a fabulous few days you all had. Thank you for sharing and hope you make it to your next gig on time. And I also hope Deidra has seen that awesome photo of her with those kids. Love it.
ashley gray - October 12th, 2012 at 1:46 PM
I laughed about the comment about the chicken. I had a rooster that crowed ALL DAY AND NIGHT right outside the window, plus people doing their Voodo chants next door. So i belted out Chris Tomlin in my room...i agree with the need for a massage after riding in a tap tap, the remnants of red dirt clay on your shoes and feet for weeks to come.

Forever etched in my mind, heart (and thankfully video camera!) is a room full of beautiful Haitian children singing Jesus Loves Me in Creole, smiles and laughter abounding, visual pockets of hope in the midst of ruin. Moments spent holding precious babies, trying really hard to resist the urge to sneak one of them in my suitcase. :) Standing on a hilltop in Caanan, singing Matt Redmans "Never Once", seeing God move.

Love this post- beautiful.
Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D - October 12th, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I've never been to Haiti, but I have been to the island. Spent time in the D.R. a bunch and Guatemala once. For DR, I remember the amazing plantains. And, the salad with the fun unique flavor I liked. (Turned out that it was from rinsing the fresh lettuce in a capful of Clorox.) The warmth of smiles - so heartwarming. Kids who soak up love and hand it out just as freely. New friends who sit so close they are practically on your lap - while the rest of the bleachers are empty. The freshly slaughtered goat - our team felt like the prodigal son. And, who knew that corn tasted SO GOOD on pizza?!

First world problems:
After having our camp raided...
"They took my bathing suit! What will I wear?"
"They took my bible. I'm glad they took it! We should leave some out tonight!"
"Have me ankles always been the size of grapefruits?"
"Why can't I bring a baseball bat as carry-on?"
"I'd like to sponsor the girl I met on the playground.Oh, you have 35 Elizabeth's at this school?"

Anna - October 12th, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Jen, I have not met you in person but I have friends who are a part of ANC who put your blog posts on their fb page several months ago. When I read it, I was hooked. I love your heart and your words. My love language is "words" so the things you write about life and our Lord touch me deeply. I shared this post with my 25 yr old daughter Whitney and son-in-love Casey who are preparing to be full-time missionaries in Haiti in February 2013. They went on a mission trip there a few years ago and fell in love with the people, and then answered God's call on their lives to go and serve full-time. People ask me if I am afraid that they will be living in Haiti, and I just tell them no, because there is no safer place to be than in the center of God's will. My 15 yr old daughter and I went on our first mission trip ever to Guatemala this summer, and I have come back "undone". I am not the same, nor will my life be the same. My husband made the same trip last year, and when he got back I kept asking him what it was like. He just kept saying, you just have to go. Now that I have, I understand what he meant. I am struggling with putting my heart down on paper, wanting to share my story with those who supported me. Your words give me a glimpse of what I want to share. Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability. You are precious.
Mike Rusch - October 12th, 2012 at 2:27 PM
I would add "...my 1st world smart phone is so slow in this country"
Jamie - October 12th, 2012 at 2:31 PM
What? You're coming home already? Sigh,
Paige Betterton - October 12th, 2012 at 3:20 PM
There sure is a lot of "Ask Jacob" in this post. But I loved it!!!!!!
Tessy - October 12th, 2012 at 3:32 PM
I have not been to Haiti but Haiti was my first love of missions. I worked with a Haitian church in Florida for two of my spring breaks in college where I fell for the people and the culture. I'll never forget my first drink of their coconut concoction, still not sure what it was but they laughed and laughed at the white girl who drank it. My good friend Salonique, that I went to college with, runs an amazing organization there called Living Water. You should check it out: http://www.livingwaterchristianmission.org/ I still hope to go on a mission trip there, it is on my list.
Allison - October 12th, 2012 at 4:34 PM
I have not been there, only in my heart, but I WANT TO BE THERE! Irrational...I don't like to fly. Impractical...I have a family, a job, I can't leave for a week. Impossible...NOT with my God.
Carmen - October 12th, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I was in Haiti this summer and my life has been forever changed. Haiti is so beautiful. Haiti is so strong. Like the pastors you met, I also met the most amazing Pastor. Pastor Jean Marc. He WAS a sponsor child when he was younger! AND now he has graduated w his DOCTORATE degree and is helping SO many sponsor kids. Sometimes I feel such a disconnect with the American Life. I don't want to live this life. I want to work for justice.
Kelly A - October 12th, 2012 at 7:53 PM
I have been to Haiti twice and going back in December...once you have been to Haiti...you realize that when you leave...part of your heart remains there ... I have to say for my Haiti trips...most humorous, or annoying..take your pick...the fact that the roosters have no idea how to tell time!!! Crowing at 2 am...really??? and the most moving...the looks in peoples eyes...some are hallow...looking deep into an emptiness...then others...you connect simply with a glance.... and I have to say hearing the sweet laughter of children...especially singing Jesus Loves Me....forever changed....
Kristen - October 12th, 2012 at 11:18 PM
I live in Haiti! And what a joy to read this post :). Imperfect, heartbreaking, and infuriating though this place is sometimes, it is also so, so beautiful. Mostly in the faces and hearts of the people.

So...any time y'all want to make a trip up north to Cap Haitien, I'll treat you to a Prestige.
Just saying.
Painted Maypole - October 13th, 2012 at 5:24 PM
I have not been to Haiti, but we sponsor a student through Living Hope Ministries. My parents have been there and we have seen pictures and heard stories. Thank you for sharing yours. And sharing the word that the earthquake is not God's judgement. It just chaps me so much when people say such things of any tragedy.
Emily F. - October 13th, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Oh how I love Haiti...too many things to name but I will name a few. First is the FAITH of the Christians there. When they say "My God is my everything" they mean it. Could I stand and worship God with everything in me if I did not know how I would feed my children today? If my home was destroyed by the earthquake? If I was an orphan, abandoned due to the economic hardship of my family? If I had buried my loves ones? I hope I can say Yes that is my faith if God chooses such trials for my life.

I also love it for one of my daughters, this is where she was born. I also love it for my other daughter who has never been the same since her first trip there nor have I.

I like to say I was "Gloriously Ruined" since going to Haiti and I praise God for that! Bondye Bon Tout Tan!! (God is good all the time)
Yvette Finlay - October 14th, 2012 at 10:20 PM
My husband and 2 of our 6 daughters visited Haiti last year with our church youth group. We stayed in a home that cares for children with special needs. Words can not describe the love I have for these people, for the children, for the pastor and his wife who share their home with 22 special needs children! The morning we left, one of the boys cried and begged us not to leave! My heart broke in a million tiny pieces! Since then we have prayed that God would let us bring him and another little one home to live with us. Although God has not granted us that prayer request, He has given us another opportunity to go back in the spring! OH God is so good!
The other prayer request I had leaving Haiti was, "Lord let me never forget!" My life has not been the same and I have not forgotten...
Sarah Bessey - October 15th, 2012 at 3:28 PM
This is such a dispensation of grace. (I miss you more than is reasonable.)
Margaret - October 15th, 2012 at 4:48 PM
haven't been to Haiti--but the pictures and snippets make me want to! (does salting ice cream taste good? I'm trying not to wince and gag at the thought over here...)
Cheryl Smith - October 15th, 2012 at 5:21 PM
"These men will be famous in heaven." Oh. My! Yes, and amen. And you too!

Love the photo of Deidra and those beautiful children.

Thank you for going. For your words here.
Amy - October 15th, 2012 at 6:10 PM
I had the chance to do backyard Bible clubs in Haiti for several summers. I also had a Haitian crush. I mean translator! His name was Dejean. Haiti will always be in my heart
Terri - October 15th, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Two of mine (son and son-in-law) went to Haiti in August. My daughter led a doll making drive that sent 186 dolls with them : http://lassothemoon.typepad.com/lasso_the_moon/2012/09/pictures-from-haiti.html. Blessings on you for the wonderful story that reaches so many of us that need to become involved!
Stephanie - October 16th, 2012 at 12:32 AM
I'm not going to be able to go to sleep tonight.
Also - this was my favorite quote... %u201CThis is not God%u2019s judgment, and He still loves us.%u201D Bless that man.
Emily - October 16th, 2012 at 10:17 PM
I was in Haiti last week too, Petionville at the
Methodist guest house. Spent 5 days going to
children's hospitals like Mission of Charity, Wings of
Hope and Grace Children's. I came home to my
husband and 3 small kids still not being able
to process what all I experienced, but really
thankful to pay taxes in the US. My neck still
aches from those crazy roads. And Prestige....I
snuck a 6 pack through customs. :) thanks for
helping my processing process. I went to Haiti wanting
to help them. Instead, they helped me.
Jess - October 17th, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Hubby's gone on two Mission trips tp Haiti in the past year. Both trips to Port-Au-Prince. He's supposed to head back this December, granted there are no complications with my pregnancy. His heart has truly been changed since going there. Bless you!
Christi - October 17th, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Next time you're there, try the Presidente beer. I liked it better than Prestige. Can we still be friends?

Tara - October 19th, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Jen, I read every blog but life runs away with me and I rarely stop and comment. Just read today's post and I wanted you to know we are here, we read, we were changed...I didn't respond to the political blog either although it hit a chord for me. I think the political blog is easier to respond to though...it doesn't require actual action on anyone's part...you can read the political blog and have it impact you without feeling any tension about the beautiful home you're building in suburbia... Reading the Haiti blogs requires something of the reader. I know it did of me, I talked with my husband about it (he responded with "that Jen Hatmaker is going to ruin my life"...total joke, he just knows I have been moved to action a few times now by your words and the response required has not always made our life simpler!) Anyway, when you require something of us (when God requires something of us)...it is harder to figure out how to respond...it's not just words or ideas, I'm going to have to take action. Please don't let my lack of response or anyone's lack of response feel for you like your words are going into a vacuum. We're out here and we are being changed, God is using you to open our eyes, change our hearts and motivate our hands and feet. On the other hand though, I'm so glad you wrote today's post...your own reflections on being the person who could write the political blog right after seeing Haiti and what it feels like to have that blog go viral rather than the Haiti blog...you keep not only yourself honest before God but those of us who read, heard the call, started looking for what we think our role is (does just my family help, do we get a group together at church, do I get my business involved in the sponsorship, do we need to keep focused on the places we're already committed to and do more...) and then got distracted by our first world problems. I'm back on task and I will answer the above questions for myself and respond not just with thoughts but with actions. Thanks Jen.
Melissa - October 20th, 2012 at 7:55 AM
I am preparing for my first trip to Haiti in 10 days. My husband and I are going to Port au Prince to see an orphanage that is in need of new house parents; we feel that God has opened this door and we are walking through it joyfully! We have 7 children of our own and would be taking all but our oldest son. I am SO excited to finally visit Haiti, and your posts have made me even more excited! God put a burden on my heart for this country many years ago, and I can hardly believe where our journey has brought us. Thank you for giving me a beautiful picture of the country that I already love, but that I'm sure I will love even more very soon!
Natalie - October 23rd, 2012 at 10:37 AM
I am weeping as I read your posts from Haiti. We are in the process of bringing our precious girl home from Maison des Enfants de Dieu orphanage located in PAP. I just returned from my sixth trip, and Haiti undoes me in new and recurring ways each time I am privileged to spend time within her borders amongst her people. The deep joy and hope that emanates in the midst of such entrenched poverty is astounding. The absence of self-pity is remarkable. The dependance upon the Father for daily bread--in both a literal and spiritual sense--is so incredibly life giving. The Father continues to graciously sustain those He loves, & in such scarcity there is no mistaking that all good gifts flow freely from Him. The willingness to freely give that which has been freely received is a reflection of Christ. Along with the Haitian pastors who will be famous in Heaven, all Haitian believers will surely sit on the front row at the feet of Jesus!

Thank you for so beautifully sharing your experiences and the stories of those you encountered. Please consider "liking" The Nannies page on FB. A team of filmmakers are making a documentary that will chronicle the lives of some of the nannies who love and serve at Maison orphanage, & are in the process of raising funds for this project. You can also visit www.theoakproject.com and read "oakie blog" for more information. Thanks for so eloquently speaking the truth. Be encouraged: He is making all things new!
Hollie - November 5th, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Beautiful things I love about Haiti:
-The children living in each kai pai on the mountain, and their rugged, hard-working mamas doing everything they can to survive.
-The raincatchers we've installed to bring life to nearly 1000 families on the Seguin plateau.
-The children chasing our tap tap, shouting "Blanc, blanc, bon bagay!" ...because, really, who doesn't want just one good thing when life is mud, and pain, and hunger.
-The sunrise in Seguin.
-The cove in Jacmel.
-The art of the resilient Haitian artist that glows above the dust, beneath the tattered tarps.
-The live hog-tied goat on the roof of the van ahead of our own, being patted for comfort by the young Haitian boy riding next to him.
-The beach in Grand Goave.
-The orphans at Hands & Feet project.
-The Haitian boys who have grown into Haitian men who love Jesus and help our teams know how to better navigate Haiti.
...and yes, of course the Prestige! (afterall, I only drink beer in Haiti!)
tifi - February 18th, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Those painting are gorgeous.