An Exclusive Interview with...Celebrity Pastor!!
by Jen Hatmaker on March 22nd, 2013

Maybe I’ve been getting this whole thing wrong, good readers. Perhaps while I’ve been pulling my hair out over 4 million dollar fish tanks in church lobbies and the most expensive building campaign in American church history, what I should’ve been doing was listening to solid, reliable, extraordinarily famous and revered leaders explain what’s what. Maybe I just need a better guide through the maze of Christian superstardom and the genius of excess.

Why am I getting all bogged down with the poor and marginalized when I could be running with the bulls? So I decided to go straight to the top; no mamby-pamby middle dwellers, no mediocre Nancy boys. I sought wisdom from the crème de la crème of Christian leadership. You may know him from his world-renowned sound bytes on Twitter (@CelebrityPastor), what with his sharp wit and attention to greatness. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you an exclusive interview with:

CELEBRITY PASTOR!
He has graciously offered us minions his time and brilliance, and we should all be grateful, for the heavens are surely smiling on us today.

CP, when did you first know you wanted to be a pastor?

I knew from the moment I was born. According to my mother (bless her soul), I actually came out of the womb holding a Bible (The Message Matrix Version). And, oddly enough, I was preaching a full-length sermon. It was obvious to everyone from a young age that I was destined for greatness of epic proportions. Plus, I was able to accurately throw a ninja star by age three.

Did you go to seminary? Or does this level of awesomeness just come naturally?

Yes I did go to a seminary: The Seminary of Hard Knocks. To be honest, your average seminary doesn't teach you a lot of what you really need to know for pastoral ministry. For example, have you ever heard of a seminary offering a class in falconing? I think not! Or bull riding? Or fog machine use? Or how to reenact the entire ending scene of "Braveheart"? As you can see, there are some serious problems with today's seminaries.

Describe your church to us.

Wow. Perhaps you'd like me to describe heaven next. You enter the lobby and you immediately feel like you are home. You feel warm, welcome, and fuzzy inside, like you just ate a Hot Pocket. You also immediately feel like you are at a U2 concert. So perhaps the only people who can truly know what my church is like are the members of U2.

What can other so-called pastors learn from you?

I think you nailed it on the head when you said, "so-called". To be a pastor of my caliber takes a level of commitment that is usually only found in Olympic athletes. You have to be willing to go all in, to go big or go home, to kick butt now and apologize later...or possibly never. You have to be willing to do you own stunts. Pastors, are you willing to go head-to-head in a cage match with a rabid mother bear? If not, it's time to give up the calling.

Where do you get your inspiration?

I find my inspiration in unexpected places. One weekend I took my wife, LaFonda, to the circus. I was blown away by those dudes who blow fire and swallow swords. The next week I incorporated sword swallowing into my sermon. Of course, I ended up in the hospital for a week with a deeply cut esophagus, but that's beside the point. Inspiration is everywhere!

What's the hardest thing about being you?

Well, keep this on the down low, but the hardest part about being me is working with my staff. As a spiritual leader of 100% Shock and Awe, I expect nothing less from my staff. Yet so often I run into road blocks. I'll come up with a brilliant idea and my faithless elders will say something like, "We can't do that! It's illegal!" Or my interns will chicken out on the extreme team building, faith building exercises that I create for them, such as a trust fall off a 40 foot cliff into a fiery pit of vipers.

You're a spiritual leader. What can you tell us to blow our minds?

I'll give you the advice I give everyone: only follow me if you want all your hopes and dreams to come true. If you would prefer something else, I can give you the name of some churches.

Do you have any pics, memes, or icons we can use as our screensavers?

Sorry, my only picture is my icon on Twitter. Any other pictures would probably cause your screen to melt.

~

I don’t know about you, but I feel like I’ve been schooled. Thank you, Celebrity Pastor, thank you. You can access this brand of genius daily by following Celebrity Pastor on Twitter. If you are smart, you can also check out his book, “Shock and Awe,” (forward by Thomas Jefferson), and don’t just take my word for it:

• "When I read this book I wanted to stand up and applaud!" - Winston Churchill
  • "You can burn all your other books on leadership. This is all you'll need." - George Patton
  • "George Washington. Martin Luther King Jr. And now Celebrity Pastor. You won't regret buying this book." - Ghandi
  • "I'm sorry, who wrote this book?" - John Piper
  • "I never agreed to endorse this book." - Mark Driscoll
  • "I've never refused to endorse a book. Until now." - J.I. Packer

Be sure to show your gratitude to CP in the comment section, because praise for Caesar is certainly due in this case.

Hannah - March 22nd, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Oh, celebrity pastor!!! *swoon*
Esther - March 22nd, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Wonderful! In my mind I was thinking, "remember to follow on twitter, remember to follow on twitter." So thank you for giving the link at the end, because I honestly would have forgotten otherwise....
LIsa-Jo - March 22nd, 2013 at 9:12 AM
And to think I held you in the highest esteem before???? Your level of awesomeness, in my opinion, just went through the roof. I would like to sit in one of your ripples and just let the genius gently lap over me.
Christina - March 22nd, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Sounds like a Religious Chuck Norris. Great perspective - thank you.
ray - March 22nd, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Hey CP. I was the one who fell from the first balcony when we were doing the wave in the middle of one of your brilliant sermons. But of course you would not remember me. That was my one chance to see you up close, but security hustled you out. Bummer.
Tara B. - March 22nd, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Shocked.Awed.Mind Blown.Melted to nothing. I can die now that you have enlightened me with all necessary wisdom... am I going to heaven?
Carmen - March 22nd, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I love you dearly, Jen, but I'm going to have to read that over a few times before I figure out wth just happened and what on earth CP was talking about. By the way, I think CP came to our church last week. But I can't say for sure it was him. I couldn't see trough the mob of star struck young guys that ran to open the door if his Porsche as he drove up to his designated parking spot.
Cynthia - March 22nd, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I really just don't know what I've been doing in church all these years. Or whether I've even been in church. But I'll tell you, I'm going out for sushi now on Lenten Fridays, and no man can stop me. Clearly, where God closes a door, He's opening a champagne bottle!
Brittney - March 22nd, 2013 at 11:18 AM
So, I've only read a few of your posts, the one about raising brave kids was what got me here. It was great, really great. After I heard about you, then I heard about you more. I heard a friend say your name and the number 7, followed by, "Oh yeah, she's so awesome, that really impacted us." I didn't intend to follow along because, well, faith blogs make me nervous; but, instead you make me laugh.Very clever. Props to you.
Kara M - March 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 AM
"follow me only if you want all your hopes and dreams to come true!" Amazing!
Christy - March 22nd, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Huh. Kinda wish I could get back the five minutes I spent reading that one. Don't get the tie in between the lead-in paragraph at all, unless of course the goal is to create dischord within the Bride of Christ? Luke 12:48 ... The last blog on this site had 14,000 Facebook shares and opened up a great opportunity to impact people... Life isn't all serious and laughter really is good medicine. But the tone here isn't exactly edifying. If you hadn't just blogged that you are outside the mainstream church and really challenged the body of said church then maybe the satirical and condensing tone of CP wouldn't be so grating while he mocks the "mega churches" you called out.
KC - March 22nd, 2013 at 12:19 PM
yes... mocking instead of edifying.
js - March 23rd, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I agree. This is mocking the church, faithful servants who preach God's Word, believers, and many men we respect in history and the Body of Christ. check yourself Jen, before you continue. You will be held responsible for misleading many.
hmmmmm - March 23rd, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I think Christy meant "condescending," and I think Christy is right.
Teresa - March 24th, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Kudos to Christy. I didn't get it and don't agree it's mocking mega churches. The Bride of Christ has problems, sure, but mocking them and acting above it all isn't the solution.
SCL - March 25th, 2013 at 8:43 AM
I agree. I believe that if large churches have been called by God to lead a large church, with a nice building; who are we to say God didn't call them to do so? I just visited a large, rather nice church Sunday, and the Holy Spirit was there. It was wonderful. Who am I to judge? Who are any of us to call them out as doing this wrong? Yes, many are, but that is God's place, not ours. There is no right way, better way. He knows the hearts, and He will be the judge. It takes all kinds of churches for all kinds of people. Why the sudden attack? I don't get that at all, and it highly disturbes me. My mother in law goes to a huge church. They do a TON of amazing things, and have single, divorced, alcoholic, doctors, mothers, elders, etc come to Christ all the time. We should look at all people as lost. Some people come to know Him from watching TV!!!! My grandmother came to know Him better through watching a "famous" pastor on TV. Who are we to judge this? Shame on any of us for doing so. And for those of us who have been hurt by a church, I am so sorry. It happens. Humans do that.
We should never stop encouraging one another toward faith....not bashing each other.
Erica - March 26th, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I absolutely agree. Hurtful, condescending, ... I think that someone with as great a "following" as you have, Jen, should be really careful with the words you choose to post regarding the church. Yes, this was intented to be funny, but still- I think some discretion should have been used here. Yikes.
Stephanie - March 27th, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I think it's spot on. Maybe those who don't get it or think it isn't edifying say that because it hits too close to home. I also saw absolutely nothing wrong with leg warmers, puffy sleeves and frosted blue eyeshadow in the 1980's - because I was smack in the middle of it. But now I get it. Love you heart, Jen. Wish there were more like you. xo
beth - March 27th, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I don't go to a "mega church", so I'm not one that is "smack in the middle" as you say. It doesn't hit too close to home for me, yet I feel this blog post was very demeaning of "mega church" pastors. As if all of them have a heart of stone with passion for people or Jesus. I do have friends that attend these types of churches and see incredible spiritual growth in them. It makes me sad that Christians are cutting each other down. Who needs enemies when you have brothers- and sister-in-Christ who will mock you? I love Jen! I appreciate her blogs and her point of view, but just b/c she doesn't like "church" doesn't mean that all of us have to hate it as well. We each have different seasons in life, at one time we wore leg warmers and blue eye shadow, but never do I look back and think that those were bad just b/c they aren't trendy now. "Mega churches" are reaching people for Jesus in this season, just like Jen is doing here. There is no reason to mock them. When we do, we take on the characteristics of the world and as believers we are called to be different. We should be encouraging one another, not tearing each other down.
Hilary - March 22nd, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I don't know what I just read! Maybe I need to follow CP to fully appreciate it? I love a great deal of wit and sarcasm, but I don't understand how this satire is helpful. Even though I agree with everything the spirit if the post is trying to achieve, I feel mocked and offended. Maybe I missed it. Love you still, Jen!
Heather - March 22nd, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I have loved every post I've read here. Except this one. Disappointing.
Amy - March 23rd, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I agree. It was very funny, so thanks for that, but your normal undercurrent of good intentions is completely missing. Feels like perhaps your embittered cousin with an axe to grind took a guest spot writing this one.
Jerry - March 22nd, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Like they say, you really couldn't make that stuff up! Priceless.
Heather Burke Cody - March 22nd, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Oh, Jen...man, I'm a fan. But this one leaves me...sad. I literally read it and re-read and re-read it until my stomach hurt with disbelief and disappointment. I'm with Christy and so many others who aren't courageous enough to respond. I know, I know..."It's satire for goodness sake!!!!" Maybe a better word is cynicism. We'll agree to disagree on this one yet I'll ponder on a truism: I don't learn much from people who aways agree with me. You've got a huge following--people searching and hoping and breaking and needing and wanting......fill 'em with love, Jen. YOU are the only Jesus some of these marginalized, enslaved people are trusting in this big, beautiful world. (No pressure--I just called you Jesus!) I know, I know....it's just satire!!!!!!!!!! C'mon, Jen.
KSW - March 22nd, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Just snorted coffee up my nose. Thanks. I hope you caught some of the (awesome) VCU game last night. Did you know their head coach is only 35?!?
Dean Deguara - March 22nd, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Simply Brilliant...I think I worked for that guy when I was still naive.
Christy - March 22nd, 2013 at 1:03 PM
This post makes me sad. I understand humor but not at the cost of offending someone else. Titus 3:2 comes to mind...I just don't think these words written promote the well-being of community. I still believe, Jenn, that you are a great leader for Christ- you have a big influence and it's a big responsibility...just something to think about.
Kimberly - March 22nd, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I recently just started following you and I loved this post. In fact, started following CP on Twitter after I read it. It's a parody on churches and Christian organizations that go so completely out of the message of Christ, that it's more for entertainment. Loved this post and thought it was hilarious. There are churches that have fog machines and wall-sized fish tanks. The post is meant to bring it all into perspective and add a splash of irony.
Celebrity Pastor - March 22nd, 2013 at 1:35 PM
To all of you who are disappointed by this interview...please know that I really do love the church. I'm a real pastor actually. My goal with the twitter account is to make people laugh by being ridiculous. Think of Michael Scott of The Office, except as a pastor. I'm not trying to mock anyone other than pastors who try to go so big they forget about Jesus. Hope that helps!
DBT - March 22nd, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Thank you for this honest statement! I can laugh with someone as long as I know their heart!
Christy - March 22nd, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Thanks for the context. Honestly, had no idea if you were a Christ-Follower, one of the "exChurch goers" we here so much about lately or just someone throwing stones for the outside. It is definitely helpful to know where you are coming from at least. Although you have to understand for those of us that read this blog regularly, your comments take on a different tone when seen through the lens of what's been posted here recently. Hence the "mocking" connotation (which, I guess you were going for, just directed at a small group of people??) Definitely different than 140 character soudbyte on twitter. Well we may disagree, I do hope God is blessing you work and your church.
Carrie Smith - March 22nd, 2013 at 7:20 PM
If anyone knows your Twitter account or Jen, your above statement is evident. On the other hand, if its your first rodeo here on the blog, you may need to be held. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put the finishing touches on our Harlem Shake choreography for Palm Sunday. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but let's just say palm branches lit on fire look amazing in black light M
Ken - March 22nd, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Jen-

I would really like for you to take the time to interview The Surly Deacon( @TheSurlyDeacon) and %u200FThe Worship Sound Guy (@WorshipSoundGuy). I think if you interview these two along with this one with the Celebrity Pastor, your traffic here will be off the charts!

Thank you!
Ken "Boring but Anal Church Admin Guy"
Rebekah - March 22nd, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Good grief, people. Laugh. Just laugh. If you don't get it, just click the X in the right corner and go on. It's ok. For reals! Laugh.
Leigh - March 22nd, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Word.
Melinda - March 24th, 2013 at 3:22 PM
No kidding. My goodness people. Chillax.
Jenny Hintze - March 25th, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Haha. My thoughts exactly!! This gave me such a chuckle this morning and some of the negative comments gave me even more of a chuckle. Don't take yourself so seriously.
Leon - April 3rd, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Amen and amen. My life would be a real downer if I were this serious about everything. Thankfully I'm not. And neither is Celebrity Pastor. My life hasn't been the same since I followed him on Twitter or read "Shock and Awe". Let's just say that camping with snickers and salami in a tent in hopes of a potential bear attack during my last leadership retreat was awesome. Dyn-a-mite!

Jen, I feel real sorry that people analyze the Buhjeeberz out of everything you write/say and apparently, everyone you interview.

Makes me feel relieved to follow the big JC as a free agent, and able to think and process my faith on my own without everyone having an opinion on it.

Son of a gun, people have a lot to say about your opinions. You must be the shit, to have this many jump down your throat and be disappointed in your selection for interviews.

All that to say, fight the good fight and may the Holy Spirit be with you. Livestrong!
Carey - March 22nd, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I love this and lovvvveee the Celebrity Pastor! People get so straight-laced they can't even see the humor in the madness that goes on inside the church. It's all in light-hearted humor and all those who say they are "disappointed" in you Jen need to come to grips with reality! There is no reason to be offended but there is a reason to get your feelings off your shoulders and quit looking for any reason under the sun TO be offended. There is no "cynicism" in his writings, but brilliance in the level of ridiculousness! Hats off to both the Celebrity Pastor and Jen for your heart and for being so awesome!
Lisa - March 22nd, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Loved this!! For those of you offended and saddened by this post you must not have sat through a sermon and thought, "Why am I watching another movie clip?" or read a budget that decreased funding for an orphanage while at the same time sending staff to other countries for "training" and of course buying the all important espresso machine because if you have to sit through a service and can't drink good coffee it just isn't holy!! I long for a group of believers (especially the leaders) that actual put their needs second while taking care of those in need.
Nel - March 22nd, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Crying with laughter! .. I may even have snorted :) Oh, if only it wasn't so true! And here in the UK too. Bless you Jen x
Brandon Hatmaker - March 22nd, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Some things are funny 'cause they're true. Some things offend people 'cause they're true. Typically depends on the person, not the thing... if they're true (or even close to being true).

I've been in ministry and have been around church long enough to know that the majority of church leaders struggle and/or are tempted with some of this in one way or another (or at least have at one point in their life)... because we're human... and flawed. Even if we don't go to this extreme and "blow fire and swallow swords"... at least we can laugh at ourselves every now and then.
Ken - March 25th, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Word!
HB - March 22nd, 2013 at 8:24 PM
I thought this was hilarious! I am a Christian and I love the church, and I love Celebrity Pastor. Seriously, how could anyone possibly be offended? He's so over-the-top, it's not like there are really people out there shooting flames from the pulpit (unless I am missing something!) Thanks Jen for sharing, I shared with my pastors, and some of them are following him now too.
HB - March 22nd, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Oh and I totally pictured CP looking like Michael Scott in my head! lol
CK - March 22nd, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I didn't know Joel Osteen read your blog!
Colin - March 23rd, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Too big to fail!
Abbi - March 23rd, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Sorry, I'm known for having a great sense of humor but this sounds so bitter. God bless you....
Lauren - March 24th, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Celebrity Pastor-

Are you sure this is Spirit led? Because it isn't edifying. :/

kelly - March 25th, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Oh my! I almost fell off the treadmill at the gym, lol!
katy - March 25th, 2013 at 9:01 AM
:-)

oh for Monday morning laughs. thank you Jen. and thank you @CelebrityPastor for your twitter feed.
Marti - March 25th, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I love sarcasm. And I LOVE inappropriate humor. It does feel wrong, though. It's just lacking a little grace, that's all...it savors some bitterness. CP may have it all wrong, but we're not perfect either. Our issues are just different. Hugs...
Amy - March 25th, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Funny? Absolutely.
Christ-honoring? Not so much.
Skerrib - March 25th, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I vote awesome.
Janae - March 25th, 2013 at 2:24 PM
We are fans! I read "Shock & Awe" out loud to my hubby yesterday during a not-so-exciting drive. I was laughing so hard that I could barely get through it. Thanks for introducing us to Celebrity Pastor & thanks for the laughs--we needed them!!!
Dow Ford - March 25th, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Actually, not gracious. Not necessary. You are better than this. I guess you think ole God and Jesus are high fivin' about this display of wit.

Laura - March 27th, 2013 at 9:09 AM
OH CP. I think you are hilarious, you love Jesus and you see how the "church" can lose itself to the world in its interpretation/"relevence", etc. I also know what it's like to be "under the authority" of a "Celebrity Pastor". VERY dangerous. So I applaud your "boldness" and your insight. Do you have your "Armour Bearers" along side of you as you read this so you won't lose your "annointing?" :) BIG love to you and to all of us who are just moving forward daily in our world of excess.
Catherine - March 27th, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I'm laughing uncontrollably right now. This is sheer genius!
Josh - April 2nd, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Jen, I am truly happy to see criticism on this blog. Not because I think you deserve it, but because if you aren't upsetting people htne you aren't being edgy enough to make a change and a difference. Keep up the good fight, and stand strong. I truly enjoyed the satire and the points that it made, showing your stance and your opinions in a creative way is much better than just boringly stating them. Keep doing you thing the way you do it!.
Lori - April 6th, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Today was the first time I read your blog. Come on readers - go back to the book of Acts - the church was not concerned with buildings or things. They were too busy taking care of one another, helping the poor, the widows and orphans. Time to stop twisting scripture for our own comfort. It is time to start obeying it! (self included)
Sean - April 14th, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I think Jen Hatmaker is a celebrity pastor as well, perhaps this is why she failed to read a woman's role within the blessed pages of her own Bible...watch for falling stones Jen; thankfully, I cannot throw the first stone, not only because I avoid stupidity with a minimum of a mile wide path, but because I understand scripture...unlike Jen
Kevin - April 16th, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Sean - sorry to say contrary to your intent... Stupidity not avoided... Stone thrown.
J. Collard - April 28th, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Using humor to point out the flaws and shortcomings of a religious system that lifts up celebrity pastors and rallies behind them, even when they make ridiculous claims and pull strange stunts is not a bad thing. I went to a mega church, and I sat under the teachings of a pastor who became a celebrity. His actions did not line up with that of celebrity pastor (with one or two minor exceptions). I do not regret my time in that church, though I have asked myself some difficult questions concerning the church. But there are celebrity pastors who do things like this, and if we can't look at their actions and suggest that they are superficial (albeit funny), then what chance is there for growth past a celebrity pastor movement? Sometimes pointing out the flaws in something by using humor is a gentle way to suggest that reform needs to happen. I don't know if that's what Ms. Hatmaker was going for. But I see a problem with many of the behaviors of celebrity pastor; so often, they don't reflect or embody the best Christian qualities. If Ms. Hatmaker was trying to be angry and cynical, she could have done so in a very different way. Sometimes we need to look at the church culture we have and see it's flaws - or else how can things get better?
Dixie - April 29th, 2013 at 1:08 PM
The humorous way in which you expose the sad truth of the state of the church today is priceless!! I believe Jesus is smiling with us at the absurdity of the difference in religion and true relationship with a living Lord who has called each and every one of us into market place ministry. We all have gifts and callings that He grows us into as we travel our journeys in this life. Leadership was never meant to be elevated above the body in any way...that kind of 'religion' is all about control and manipulation of people and leads to spiritual abuse of trusting souls. Bravo for your courage to speak the truth....
Steve B - May 7th, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Jen, it appears you may have upset people by not being Christ-like. Maybe you should of used terms like whitewashed tombs, wolves or vipers. Or been like the Apostle Paul that confronted Peter TO HIS FACE(!). Paul wrote after all that we are to judge those that are within not those who are outside the church. Keep up the good work BTW the $4 million tank is real www.worshipfacilities.com/go.php/editorial/15423 and has 3 FULL-TIME people to take care of it! Sad
Akle - March 2nd, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Oh Jen, you make me so happy. You are way busy writing your new book and all but if yo happen to see this please share...how can I take this into my very traditional Bible Belt church where my husband and I feel called (he is student minister). I belive and agree with every word but many (most?) people in my church are just not there. They are very focused on the 20%. It's so hard but we feel called here and believe God wants to use us to help bring change. What is the best wY to do this other than just doing the thing and living our crazy surrendered lives in front of our students to help inspire transformation?

Ps I took a pic with you at the orchard in tupelo and totes embarrassed must by being a creeper lol. %uD83D%uDC6F love you!! Haha
Akle - March 2nd, 2014 at 12:14 AM