That Time I Was on the Today Show
by Jen Hatmaker on June 27th, 2013

Alright. I can only let so many of you tell me You were great on the Today Show! Very poised! Like you’ve done it for years! so many times before my conscience cracks under the illusion. And for the rest of you asking What was it like? I give you the unembellished truth of my four minutes on The Today Show.

I’ve told you I don’t answer my phone almost ever because my thoughts tell me I cannot do it or I might die because of the hard things like answering questions and talking, so when an unknown NYC number popped up Sunday over lunch at Doc’s Bar and Grill, I promptly screened it. When they called back one minute later, I was all perhaps you didn’t hear my first screen. Then my booking agent texted one minute later and was like ANSWER YOUR PHONE, STUPID.

So I called back Brian the Producer who was all kinds of nice and disarming, tricking me into a light conversation to discover if I should just continue writing rather than talk about my writing on his show. It is a known fact that most writers are strange birds in person having exaggerated our charms and smarts in print, which is exactly the case for me. When people tell Brandon, “It must be so funny living with Jen…” he’s all yeah, she is a barrel of laughs sitting on the couch eating hummus and watching Chopped.

But I faked Brian out and passed the Front of the Camera Test, so then he very casually, nonchalantly says, “We’ve already researched flights, and there is only one that will get you here in time, and don’t worry, but you kind of need to pack a bag and start heading to the airport.”

After five beats of dead silence, I reached across the table and swatted a chicken strip out of Remy’s mouth and started making panicked monkey gestures to everyone to FREAKING BOX UP THIS FOOD AND RUN TO THE CAR while mm-hming to Brian and acting fake sane.

Note: I have been a Today Show patron for as long as I can remember. I’ve written about it in at least three books:

These are my people. I’ve stuck with all the anchors, all the hijinks, all the Olympics coverage, all the everything. In fact, don’t make a big deal out of it, but this was actually my second time on the Today Show, as I made this impressive debut three years ago almost to the day:

Me and T and Lenny: smooth operators obviously.

So we drove 100 miles an hour home, and hand to the heavens, we had 10 minutes to get packed and out the door. Do you understand how much time I needed to obsess over this little dream come true? MORE THAN TEN MINUTES. This required a haircut and manicure and some wonderful new outfit, and if this wasn’t cause for new shoes, then I don’t know what is. I had two inches of gray to color and nine pounds to lose, and there was the small matter of these five kids who live here: Sister, can you stop what you’re doing and take care of my kids for the next two days? Yes?! Good! Thank you! Uh, we’re already gone. Just drive to my house sometime today.

So because I only had ten minutes to pack, my brain simply froze and launched full mental strike. I kept looking at my clothes like what are these clothes? I can’t think of what I look like in any of these. I can’t think about what to wear on the Today Show. Sequins? Jeans? A prom dress? Nothing makes sense. I cannot make sense of these options.

Since my brain was betraying me, I had no choice but to grab dirty clothes off the floor from my last event, because my brain thought it was a decent outfit a few days ago when it was still contributing to my life. And let’s be real: I’ve already told you I wear the same clothes to all my events, and since you’ve seen the same three outfits posted a million times no matter what city I’m in, we should all probably stop pretending that isn’t a thing.

We landed in NYC at 11:30pm, and “my driver” took us to “our hotel” on “Central Park South" (these are "fancy quotes") and if you think I was unable to play that cool, you are correct, madam. I took out my clothes to see what I brought, and the news was bad: one workable outfit and a smattering of unrelated pieces absolutely good for nothing. So I stress ate a burger from “my room service” at 12:30am because I'm careful about nutrition.

NBC sent a car for us at 6:30am and said to come with clean dry hair and no makeup because they would attempt to make me pretty. When I went to “hair and makeup” (!!!), there were a bunch of young gangster homies everywhere, and I asked my makeup wizard: “Who are these boy band youths?” Neither of us had any idea, because as I mentioned, I was there for being a lame mom, so the “cool segment” wasn’t the space I occupied. All I know is, 700 thousand screaming teen girls had mobbed the plaza, and I was terrified that they’d swarm this young man and he would lose his pants, as they were sagging into the danger zone.
"Who is this weird mom trying to act like she isn't taking my picture?"

Speaking of segments, I shared green room space with Scott Thorson (Liberace’s gay lover, far left), Russell Brand (who kept throwing up in the bathroom and almost missed his interview), and then in walks someone’s chubby grandpa with his scantily clad, stiletto wearing…I want to say…granddaughter? No, I was mistaken about that. She was actually an employee at the Moonlite Bunny Ranch, a legalized brothel in Nevada and he was her…I want to say…owner? My first reaction was to cover her up, because I’m pretty sure I saw her hinterlands. This was Brandon’s first reaction:
That's right, mister. Better put Grandpa between you and Blondie.

So with an hour of substance clearly lined up, it was time for my “teasers,” of which I had two. I could see myself on the screen behind the cameraman, and it took a Herculean effort not to look at myself, like when Remy watches herself cry.

"Just smile and wave for five seconds." NAILED IT.

Then into the studio where Brandon and my sister were not allowed, because it is approximately the size of my living room, so now I was without my people, sitting on “my interview couch” waiting, and all the funny, charming, adorable quips I planned promptly exited my brain, like the Hebrews fleeing Egypt. I couldn’t remember how to be funny, and my breathing got shallow, which is a particular way my body tries to murder me before something like this.

You guys, these anchors, bless them, run, race to each segment. Out to the plaza, run back into the news desk, zip over to the couch scene, dash back out to the plaza, race over to the stools, dash upstairs to the Today Show kitchen, ACT LIKE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ALL THESE UNRELATED SEGMENTS. No wonder they are such miniature, tiny people; they burn 6000 calories an hour. (I could hoist Natalie onto my hip and carry her around all day like a toddler.)

Then, Savannah and handsome Carl (the nicest person to me of them all) popped over to my couch and the camera guy started the 5, 4, 3, 2…countdown, and I had a tiny, undetectable heart attack. The lead-in piece rolled, and Natalie did the voiceover, reading parts of my blog less like a sarcastic humorist and more like a pretty robot ("Just. Whatever. Man.”) Bless.

I don’t remember the next four minutes, but I clearly have some sort of hand gesturing disorder, which is incurable I’m sorry to say, and I’d also point out that I giggle when I’m nervous, so basically I snickered and gesticulated nonstop while saying virtually nothing. Also worth noting at the 3:18 mark: I wanted to lean on my elbow to demonstrate how casual I was, but since the Today Show is staffed by wee people with wee furniture, I miscalculated the height of the armrest, thus necessitating an “air lean.” I played it off not at all.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE 4-MINUTE MAGIC. Or just to bear witness to the air lean.

So glad to report that the anchors, the producers, the crew…all lovely and wonderful. The producers and I commiserated because we are all working parents and our brethren in NYC were still in school at the time, God love ‘em. NBC said, “Stay another night in the fancy hotel! We’ll pick up the tab…” Well, OKAY THEN. The whole experience was too fun, like a fake two-day fancy life in the middle of the normal, so thank you, Today Show, for all the awesome.

I need to tell you one last thing, and I expect you to be compassionate because I was clearly under duress with these mental anxieties, but in my haste, I forgot to pack underwear, and I told you we didn’t land in NYC until 11:30pm and they sent a car for us at 6:30am, so what I am trying to tell you is this:

I went on the Today Show in dirty clothes…commando.

Sorry Yellow Couch, but there were two layers between my bare butt and your upholstery, because I may have forgotten underwear but I sure as hell didn’t forget my Spanx.

displaying most recent 100 comments

Amy - June 27th, 2013 at 9:59 PM
...shut it... Is that a Sevenly sticker you are rockin on the back of your phone?....I knew we were friends...especially after the foundation garment debacle!! Doing 7 now...it's clothing week...I couldn't count foundation garments...it would have rendered me pant less ;)
David Small - June 27th, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Sorry for the multiple (triple) posts. I'm just showing my age and relative technological lameness by doing that.

Sigh...

But, again, what fun to read that back story! Thanks fer sharing!
Jennifer - June 28th, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I see 2.
Susan - June 27th, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I got to be on the Today Show VERY unexpectedly a few years ago (I had lost 140#). Loved my 15-well, more like 4-minutes of fame-even though I was so nervous I could hardly breathe! I was on with Kathie Lee and Hoda who were both very nice. You did just fine!
Chantal - June 27th, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I am dying.
Jeanette - June 27th, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Hysterical! I just put my 9th grader in public school this past year after 5 years of homeschooling... good heavens, the projects at the end of the year! About pulled my hair out! And my son's hair...
deb - June 27th, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Thinking you probably weren't the first to go commando or in dirty clothes to the Today Show, but definitely the funniest!
Laurie - June 27th, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Oh my gosh! Had to pause reading this for a "bathroom" break because I was laughing so hard! You are a breath of hilarious air!

Abby - June 27th, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I can't stop watching the arm lean...the chin scratch ws super smooth. Love your writing!
Kelly - June 27th, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I love the elbow move and the scratch your chin move to play it off! Stinking hilarious!
Sheree - June 27th, 2013 at 10:50 PM
You're awesome!!!!
Caroline - June 27th, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Ok, so I love this on so many levels. But let's be honest, I have neither time nor space to list them all. Too. Many. Words. But...I will assure you, that from now on, everysingletime my friends make fun of some kind of fool thang I've said/done/blogged - I adore u that I can now smile and reply "Ya, but Jen Hatmaker went commando on the Today Show and then blogged about it to thousands of people." :) Glory.
Love, love - "Crazy Caroline" :)
Joanna - June 27th, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Oh my goodness. I just woke my sleeping child twice! First while reading this blog and second while watching the air lean. Needed this laugh today and adore Jen Hatmaker even more!
kelcie - June 27th, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Thank you for making me laugh. out. loud. Needed it.
Maggie - June 27th, 2013 at 11:36 PM
You are too funny. I thought you were great on Today! Natalie totally butchered your blog post. Oh, and my daughter also watches herself cry (is that a thing?)
Wendy Hagen - June 28th, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Laughing out loud. What a line up on that show - the hooker, the pimp, liberace's lover and J Spanxmando. And if you are wondering, why yes. Yes, my cousins grew up across the street from Liberace in Vegas. I believe they made him brownies once or vice versa. Or maybe they just saw him once. Whatever. It's a major connection right there. Dang I need to hound my church again to get you at our church.
Bj - June 28th, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I'm dying to know why Russell Brand was puking!!!
Natalie Burton - June 28th, 2013 at 2:38 AM
AIR LEAN!!!!!! Your elbow rejected that armrest like it had the same magnetic pole in it. ;) Awesome. I would have totally talked into their next question. You were precious!! So funny. And, I am sorry, but "Remy watching herself cry"--funniest concept ever. :)
Michelle - June 28th, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Wait, so who were those boy band youths??
kim - June 28th, 2013 at 6:44 AM
bwhahahaha commando for real!? nice one.
Kim Vest - June 28th, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Didn't know I was suppose to wear underpants under my spanks:)))
Stephanie - June 28th, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I collapsed on the floor about the commando situation. So so funny. You are so so awesome. :)
DMarie Moe - June 28th, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Of all the wonderful things - just in terms of starting the day with a little hilarity - about this, I am so delighted that Jen Hatmaker got in front of the millions of people who watch The Today Show BECAUSE that means a lot more people will read your blog, learn about your mission, and see that the word "Christian" doesn't have to mean... well, all the negative stuff it has come to mean. That it's possible to love God, do what Jesus said to do, and still have a humble sense of "we're all in this together, let's help each other".
Ange K - June 28th, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I've learned I cannot drink my coffee and read your blog at the same time because I ALWAYS spray it out in fits of uncontrollable laughter! Jen, Jen, Jen. Love you too much! I'm about to watch the infamous air lean...
BethA - June 28th, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Love ya, girl. And AMEN, SISTER!!!!
Tera - June 28th, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Just when i think i can't adore you anymore. seriously.
you are absolutely hilarious and i love you so. > DITTO, DITTO, DITTO
Nicole - June 28th, 2013 at 9:05 AM
crying-laughing! thanks.
beth - June 28th, 2013 at 9:06 AM
oh, i just loved reading this, jen. you write what we are all thinking.... for real. (and i never remember to pack underwear... i have NO idea why..)
Jill - June 28th, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Once upon a time I would have skinned myself alive rather than go commando. Now? Some days there just isn't enough time to do ALL the laundry...and well, I have been known to go to work sans undergarments. It's sort of my own weird little secret. Hey, whatever gets you through the day, man.
Abbey - June 28th, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Ahhhh!!! Jen honestly I'm dying to know who this boy band was that you side camera stalked!! Haha. I was in the wilderness with no tv and no Internet at the time if the interview and after listening to me talk about how upset I was for missing it my husband goes "Honey it will be on the Internet forever, you can see it when we get home." NOT SOON ENOUGH. I left the camp and drive to Walmart to view it on their store model iPad. Too tally worth it, arm lean, commando and all.
Jenna - June 28th, 2013 at 9:42 AM
oh my gosh, I can't believe you told us all this, but it's amazing that you did, thank you! And what a crazy mad amazing experience it sounds like for you. Can't believe you did it commando, but way to go not having a heart attack, or throwing up, right on the camera -- you did awesome!
Jennifer - June 28th, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Jen, you KILL ME!!! The Today Show sans skivvies....thanks for making me laugh.....again

Sandy S - June 28th, 2013 at 10:48 AM
The air lean!!!! Beautiful, great recovery!! I give it an A !!!
Lea - June 28th, 2013 at 11:53 AM
You. Are. BEYOND. Awesome. Loved this.
Alona - June 28th, 2013 at 12:49 PM
You are so real, I needed a laugh and I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing WITH you :)

Veronica - June 28th, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I seriously love your blog....thank you for being so real....Hey at least you had the spanks!

April - June 28th, 2013 at 2:20 PM
That was hilarious watching it again after reading your description!!! :) So funny!!!
Meg - June 28th, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Air Lean?!?! Hysterical - just hysterical. I am now religiously (no pun intended :)..) following your blog. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Keep it up girl! The world could continue to use your brand of Christianity.....
Julia W - June 28th, 2013 at 3:22 PM
This was wonderful. This is the first blog of yours I've read but I see you posted all over my obviously mom friends facebooks and I love how I can empathize! Thank you for sharing and I'm so happy God gave you a gift of authenticity and transparency :)
Erin - June 28th, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I love this. So much.
Allison - June 28th, 2013 at 4:59 PM
This was awesome! I saw the footage before, and never noticed the arm rest thing until you pointed it out. All I saw is what a wonderful job you did!!!
Kristi - June 28th, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Oh my gosh... Hilarious. I'm a first time blog reader, and I see me sticking around.
Erin - June 28th, 2013 at 6:57 PM
THIS! This had me laughing out loud. And the "air lean!?" You are priceless, Jen Hatmaker. Priceless.
Alysa - June 28th, 2013 at 7:41 PM
AIR LEAN! That was amazing. Glad to know I'm not the only one who is completely uncomfortable on live TV. Especially with the teasers, they aren't awkward at all...(Do I smile? Wave? Show teeth? How long does this go on?)

You made it look easy, way to go :)
Ellen Stamey - June 28th, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Well Jen Hatmaker - yes, this was fun and funny; then your witness blown by your last comment on your blog! "I sure as _ _ _ _ didn't forget...." I've already spent time this morning encouraging a dear friend of mine by reminding her that you are human too after she told me how disappointed, shocked and let down she was in your last sentence. My heart hurts for you for not even realizing the comment you made (cussing) could do damage. "Are you making certain choices today that your conscience would not have allowed in the past? If so, you may have become desensitized over time." - Dr. Charles Stanley (1 Timothy 1:18-19).

I will use this as a teaching point Sunday morning in our bible study - we are working on "Interrupted." I will explain that this is why it is so important not to put ANYONE on a pedestal and go in realizing they will let you down - they're people.
I will be praying very specifically for you - that this is something you will apologize for and explain to the many, impressionable ladies reading your every word. Be careful Jen, I do love you and what you have done for our Lord! Thank you for being so available to HIM! In His grip, Ellen
Teacher - June 29th, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Granted, the word is offensive to many of her Christian readers and probably to many of your Bible study members; nevertheless, if you want to turn her non-Christian readers off to Christianity, hostility disguised as Christianese is a great way to do it. "Thank you for giving me an example of why we should never put people on pedestals and I will be praying for your repentance" translates pretty transparently as "Neener neener neener, you just proved you aren't as perfect as everyone thinks you are, and I'm glad because i'm jealous of you, so there." How long have you been reading her posts and waiting for her to make a mis-step so you could pounce with your public, 3-paragraph scolding? Sounds like maybe you need to examine your own heart and your own motives before you teach your Sunday school class.
Ellen - June 30th, 2013 at 12:06 PM
No hostility at all here, sorry you read it as that. Simply put, I believe as sisters in Christ, we need to hold each other accountable. I have several believers in my life that do the same for me and I praise God for them. Just a "plank-eyed saint" holding another in Christ accountable, I love Him too much to say nothing.
Teacher - June 30th, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Accountability is a good thing, and if I had run my previous comment past an accountability partner of my own before posting, she probably would have told me I sounded as harsh as I'd accused you of being. I am sorry. No shortage of planks over here either, clearly! To try again: You were expressing concern for believers who see the word "h___" as a stumbling block; I was (not doing a very good job of) expressing concern for nonbelievers who might have recently discovered this blog via the Today Show, and are turned off from Christianity when believers argue over relatively small issues like bad words. I think we'd agree that both groups are important to Jesus, though %u2026 and I'm thankful that all sorts of verbal sins, including Jen's 4-letter words and my ill-chosen words, are covered by His grace!
Suzi - June 30th, 2013 at 6:44 PM
AMEN!!!
annie - June 29th, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I mean no disrespect, but while you are praying for Jen in regards to her saying "hell", I will be praying for Jesus to reveal Himself to you on a more personal level. On a level that is a whole lot more about love than it is about rules. Her "witness is blown" because she said a word that some think is bad? That is not how God works and I am so thankful for that.
not your white horse, pedestal sitting, missionarymama - July 1st, 2013 at 8:19 PM
She didn't say "go to hell" or "no way in hell" or "get the hell away from me". She said, "sure as hell". That is actually QUITE a Christian thing to say as most unbelievers don't believe that hell is sure. And it surely is!! And I totally get it cause I might forget my underwear, my toothbrush or my wedding rings, but as sure as there is a God in Heaven and as sure as Hell exists, I would not forget my spanx!!!
HeatherM - July 2nd, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Well put! :)
Catherine - July 6th, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Holy bible thumper!! This is the exact reason I do not attend church. Because of judgmental, religious rule bashers like you.
Andreia - July 10th, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Catherine, obviously from the comments above, we Christians are not perfect, and we make lots of mistakes about how we follow Christ, and some of us take different approaches, much like my sister-in-law is a neat freak, and I only dust when the dust has piled up so much that it forms dust bunnies that float around the house. The church is a messy place because it is made up of messy, imperfect people who are thankful that God loves us. I pray that you will find a church where people can walk this messy walk with Jesus with you.
Debbie - July 17th, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Yup, Andreia, that is so right! I also am a non-duster, but wish I dusted. Churches are full of people and people are strange beings! But Catherine, you can't blame US for not going to church. What exactly are you doing all the time? God says to "forsake not the assembling of yourselves". He means for you to go, so go to church and be a testimony to others there! I am one of the "judgmental" people who would really rather that Jen not go around using the word Hell. Not a good idea. But when someone calls her on it, why does everyone jump on that person? Nice.
Bev Eagen - August 29th, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Hell, it didn't offend me.

I say that to make a point. Not everyone operates the same way and I think that someone like Jen has a far greater reach for Christ than the "prissy" standoffish people who are barking on here about her use of a "four" letter word.

I don't believe people should be judgmental about this. Honestly. Do you have any idea the impact REALNESS has on people's lives outside of the Church? Jesus came for the sinners, not the saved and Jen is reaching far too many in the "real" world than people might expect.

I know many of you reading this dismiss it right out because of my intentional use of Hell in the first sentence. That is fine by me. Jesus and Me are on great terms and he loves me for ME. See, his Father created me and my name is engraved on his hand. I don't need your approval because I have His. Same goes for Jen. If you don't like her use of "colorful" language, so be it. Don't read her stuff. As for the rest of us though, we appreciate Jen for KEEPING IT REAL. And for people like me and Jen, well, real might mean the use of a colorful term now and then.
Ellen - June 28th, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I did not even notice the "air lean!" Great recovery!
Ansley - June 28th, 2013 at 9:58 PM
You are a hero for the rest of us out here!! Thank you for your fun honesty and representing the moms of today's kids... couldn't have done it better!
sue - June 28th, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Jen. I had a horrible day and I thank you for sharing yourself -and being so honest and funny. I didn't think anything would make me laugh tonight but this was hilarious....thanks! You have a gift and you must realize that far more of us are thankful for your genuineness and we wouldn't judge you as the person did a few entries above. Constructive feedback is best in private! Thanks for sharing your talent .... Love love love it!
Kendra George - June 28th, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I just read this while in a hotel room with my 2
Sleeping children...I was laughing too loud, shaking
The bed, and crying. So I was banished to the bathroom
...this is hilarious you help all of us to find the normal
And the depth to life. Somehow I feel like I know
You after just finishing interrupted with our small group and
Read 7 with some ladies!! You brought deep laughter to
What has been the best and hardest of weeks all in one!! Love your
Honesty!!!
Diana Trautwein - June 28th, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Holy crap, Jen - you can tell a story like nobody else. Loved watching you when it happened - love hearing about it now. You ROCK.
Krista - June 28th, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Just... I love you!!!!
Amie - June 28th, 2013 at 11:06 PM
You know how funny this is...so let me tell you how I walked in on my girls watching my recorded Today Show segment because I know better than to trust my brain to remember to watch it the first time. I say, "Are you watching the Today Show?" As drool runs down their chins they nod enthusiastically. I'm all...are you watching Jen Hatmaker? I recorded that so don't erase it! Then, there on the screen is that little boy singer sitting next to you in hair and makeup about to sing...Austin Mahoney is apparently his name. They couldn't believe I accidentally recorded him on the Today Show for them, lol! Win, win! ;)
Teacher - June 29th, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Teacher - June 29th, 2013 at 8:09 AM
(In response to Ellen's comment above)
Carol Allen - June 29th, 2013 at 12:21 PM
It is hilarious how you happen to get on the Today Show with all "those" guests!!!!! I am rolling off my chair laughing at the women who doesn't get your humor!!!!! The Southern California girls who saw you at Rock Harbor, are all keeping up the you. You are an inspiration to us, and we love your humor!!!!! Loved your book "7" and are looking for new ways to follow Jesus, and get the dust from His sandals all over us!!!! You Go Girl!!!!!
Nell - June 29th, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Love you, love TODAY, loved your worst end of the school year mom ever piece. And your teacher appreciation piece. Because I am an inner city teacher mom of two special needs boys, and darn it, being a mom is hard. But we keep at it, with or without our underwear.
DavidDrury - June 30th, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Forwarded this to my wife so she could laugh along
loved it
Kiah - June 30th, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I would totally accidentally do the underwear thing. I feel your pain!!!
Reba Rambo - July 1st, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Thanks for the honesty & the giggles... Never stop being a Velveteen Rabbit who is becoming "real." (Although your earth-suit still looks great!)
Melissa Richie - July 1st, 2013 at 1:33 PM
THE LEAN!!!!!!!!!!! Made my day!!!!
Jessica - July 1st, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I loved all of it, especially the air lean. Also, I have to say that wearing SPANX and underwear makes you an overachiever. Thank you.
Laura - July 1st, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Love it! A writer's biggest dream and worst nightmare. But you nailed it!
Jenna - July 2nd, 2013 at 3:31 PM
You are so cute! God bless!
Bec from Melbourne - July 3rd, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Jen, you were awesome. May it turn in to blog traffic that means people get to know the source of your strength. I loved the whole interview.
lenore - July 4th, 2013 at 4:42 PM
did you by chance have flip-flops on too??? = ) this is AWESOME. I can't believe who you ended up in the green room with. tooooooo funny.
Jolee - July 4th, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Oh, just. STOP. You did GREAT. ;-) So much fun. Yahoo!
Kathlyn - July 5th, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Awe...Bless. Your. Heart. You did awesome!!!!! And I loved the "Bless his heart's" you added. The today show needs a little more southerness to it ;) I just got caught up in your NYC whirlwind. Can't even imagine how crazy and ridiculously amazing that must have been!!! And I am a giggler too. When all else fails, giggle...right?!
Beth - July 6th, 2013 at 8:01 PM
gesticulation is a great new word...thanks! excellent!
Jessica - July 6th, 2013 at 10:29 PM
You are just TOO CUTE!
Suzanne - July 8th, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Hilarious! As a frequent forgetter of packing "underthings", let me share with you a secret: wear them outside-in!

Dana - July 9th, 2013 at 1:03 PM
So good.... again Love!!!!
Ginger - July 9th, 2013 at 8:33 PM
So very funny and very real! I appreciated the laugh today;) have a great and blessed day!
Annie - July 9th, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I just watched the segment, and omg they really know how to un-funny something! Natalie's voiceover was the worst! You did great, though! I'm a new follower because of the end of year post, and I'm enjoying your writing! Thanks!
Missie - July 10th, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Dear Natalie, please stick to being an anchorwoman and never ever ever this side of Heaven ever go into a field that requires voice inflection. Thanks, punkin. Love, Jen's Fans.
Jamie - July 12th, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Let's be real, as long as you remembered the Spanx, it's all good!
Trace Batton - July 12th, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I watched for your "air lean" but missed it because you were so engaging! From the depths of my mommy-heart be encouraged and hear me say, you ROCKED The Today Show, Jen! You are a beautiful, funny, intelligent, compassionate woman and I hope to say that to you in person one day! Love and God Bless! Trace
Trace Batton - July 13th, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Annie - July 13th, 2013 at 2:45 PM
You rocked it and you were as cute a button! The "air lean" was just what I needed to see for a giggle today!
Shannon - July 14th, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Love it. And shout out for Spanx!!!
cameo - July 15th, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I believe the technical term you are looking for is "air traffic controller arm-itis." I had read your original post and forwarded it to my sons teacher. I laughed so hard because sitting right behind me was a stack of papers I was supposed to go over for both my kids, my son's backpack was ripped on the top from side to side giving it the appearance of a sad. shocked canvas bag. Both kids were wearing shoes that were way too small and had holes in the toes. "Two weeks", I told them, "two weeks and then you'll be wearing sandals. Please tough it out for two more weeks." Or I could have gone the route my dad does, having the kids put plastic grocery bags on their feet before putting on their shoes. Thank you for the hilarity :)
Belinda - July 15th, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I was on the Today show as well, in April 2009 for Working Mother of the Year. I did wear my spanx and less than 10 seconds before going on air one of the camera men whispered in my ear, "your spanx is showing honey." I kept my legs crossed like a 15 years old virgin for the duration of my interview. I can totally relate!

PS - Loved your worse mom ever..I have three kids and stop reading their agenda books (which contain all of the assignments) by November. They just bring me what I need to sign and I sign it. I could be their suspension letter for all I know.
Rebekah - July 15th, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Love everything. Every single thing! I was just introduced to you in the past month, so I am "catching up" on your happenings!! Thanks for being so real.
DO NOT CLICK HERE ! - July 15th, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Thank you for this post, love it !!!
Kristen - July 19th, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Haha, this post is amazing!! I got quite a kick out of it. My hubby and I are adopting a special needs daughter from India through AWAA. I have really enjoyed your blog posts especially those relating to adoption. Anyways, I digress. Loved the post...love your books. Keep 'em coming.
crystal mccaughey - July 19th, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Hi Jen, this has nothing to do with your recent post but i wanted to share with you any way...My girlfriends&i decided to do your 7 fast & things were going asking nicely. God was moving and life was good. We were on the week of possesions & i think we were killing it when all of a sudden a fire broke out. You might have seen it on the news. Our little town of Idyllwild Ca was & still is under attack. We have all been evacuated, having to leave must of our possessions behind. For me thus was truly eye opening as to how much losing my stuff would impact my life...i think that GOD has used your book to move in our hearts as we go though this tragedy...please pray for us as we still cannot go home & are uncertain about the future of our home town...
Danielle - July 20th, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I may or may not have snorted reading this recap!!! This is the first time ever reading your blog or your words and I instantly love you, your writing and your raw honestly. I also heard about your book and I am buying it today. I know I will cry, a lot... Thank you for being you.
Karla Davis - July 21st, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Absolutely love your blog! I happened upon it quite by accident and am too happy about it! I love your sarcastic sense of humor and the just plain real truth about you! I am now an avid follower!
Jason Dykstra - July 23rd, 2013 at 11:32 PM
So interesting to hear what your Today Show experience was like behind the scenes. Thanks for taking me there, as it's an experience we authors all dreamily ponder about. :)
Linda - July 24th, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Great job!! The air lean looked totally legit - I never would have suspected it was a faux pas. ;-)
DianeW - July 26th, 2013 at 12:00 PM
This has nothing to do with TODAY SHOW ....... Although I DID watch the video. Just got DONE with INTERRUPTED. I have to tell you that the book and the word of God has set a fire in my soul that I did NOT KNOW WAS THERE. I am soooo thankful for the words that you penned (or typed) in that book. I read the majority of it OUTLOUD to my husband ( awesome for him). I just could not keep it to myself!! It came at the most opportune time of our life. We are in our fifties.......yes I said fifties........ Looking at the second half of our life and attempting to go BEYOND career into a NEW UNKNOWN. THE CHURCH as we have known it will forever look different to me now. Isn't it GREAT TO KNOW that OLD DOGS CAN be taught new tricks BY THE YOUNGER GENERATION. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for living out the words of this book and giving us a tangible view of what it looks like .......right where we are!!

Blessings ABUNDANT
DianeW

Jeane` - July 27th, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Just in case you ever go on any morning talk show again commando, and have the misfortune of sneezing or laughing too hard....http://www.neighborlies.com/1/post/2013/07/i-break-for-kegals.html

Carol - July 28th, 2013 at 5:30 PM
My sister told me to check out your blog . . . so glad I did! I've laughed until I cried because you GET US ALL . . . Moms everywhere . . . and you "voice" it so well! Thank you for the honesty, the wit, the reality of life . . . THIS is REAL!

Rachel - July 31st, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Thank you for ending it with that sentence :) And my 3 year old daughter likes to watch herself 'cry' in the mirror too! Though by the time she catches sight of her neurotic, unnecessary fit while sitting on the bathroom sink in the first place - she isn't actually crying anymore, anyways...
Ellen - August 2nd, 2013 at 8:16 AM
I may or may not have made the clip fullscreen at about the 3:10 mark and then rewound it to watch the air lean again. :)
joy - August 4th, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I saw the show and it was awesome seeing you on TV! You looked amazing BTW and could not tell at all that you were nervous! Love love love your blog. Please visit mine too!

Amy - August 6th, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Hahahaha... the elbow lean is just too good! In my head it was in slow motion. You know, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EkWHhKgBuQ

But seriously, I love your heart and your writing. Your honesty and your passion combine in a way that gives Jesus praise and calls me to obedience. Much love!
Kelley - August 7th, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Just FYI, if you're ever w/o underwear again, like I was a week or so ago when I had to catch my 6 yr old from mid street fall off the standing stroller in downtown San Fran and the damage he did to my bladder 6 yrs ago, reared its ugly head- Old Navy bikini bottoms will work, in a pinch.
Melinda - August 16th, 2013 at 4:49 PM
So awesome! They should have let you read from your blog. Natalie didn't nail it. ;-)
Lori Carter - August 18th, 2013 at 3:33 PM
You are the bomb! Love, love, love your writing!!
Tiffany - August 31st, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Wait - you mean Spanx don't count as underwear??!!?? Haha!
Ashley - August 31st, 2013 at 9:02 PM
The only thing better than the air lean was the chin scratch to try to cover it up! I so relate!
morgan - September 1st, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I want to testify on the works of Dr Zona.He is a great man who was able to cast a spell that brought to me the woman I love.This man is able and capable to solve any problem of yours.He is specialized in the following:
(1)Spell for protection from danger
(2)Spell for magic
(3)Spell for same sex love
(4)Spell for healing
(5)Spell for invisibility
(6)Spell for riches and fame
(7)Spell to get a good job
(8)Spell for strong love and relationship
(9)Spell to bring your ex back
(10)Spell to become pregnant
This man has great powers and is incredibly generous.You can contact him on zonaspelltemple@gmail.com,he can help you without stress try him today and see the difference...