Coming to Your TV Set: The Hatmakers
by Jen Hatmaker on September 16th, 2013

Life is absurd.

Sometime in late June, I got a random email from Sarah.

From HGTV.

“I develop shows for HGTV and I would love to have a conversation about our network and programming and see if your passion can translate to the HGTV world.”

At this point, I started laughing and didn’t quit for two weeks. Particularly after she asked me “how my DIY skills were.” Um. Poor to heinous. We jumped on the phone and she said a bunch of stuff and I kept cackling like a hyena because WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?

Evidently these people were following the Hatmakers: the tattooed Harley-riding pastor, the Christian author with the loud mouth, the gaffes, the international adoptions, the zany kids or, more specifically, Remy. They thought we fit some sort of “quirky wholesome” category (which apparently Duck Dynasty made a thing). The question was:

Could we develop a show with your family?

The crazy thing, besides all of it, was that we were already listing our house. In fact, the day I received that first email, we were touch-up painting and listing within the week. Would you consider a fixer-upper, the people asked. Who exactly would do the fixing up, we wondered, because this really isn’t our genre. We specialize in sarcasm and chaos. We will HELP YOU do the fixing up, said the people who do this for a living.

We shot a sizzle reel in August, apparently “the network” went bonkers for it, and now this is a thing. You can imagine with my penchant for oversharing, I was DYING to tell you.

Our stand-ins. The one with the mustache is obviously me.

Allow me to answer your FAQs:

Have you lost your mind?

I believe that ship sailed some time ago, gentle reader. Do I realize we are looking at a four-month renovation during which time we are traveling, writing, parenting, and churching? And that we will be living in this house during part of said renovation? And that we’ve never renovated a home? AND THAT WE BOUGHT A 1908 FARMHOUSE AND THE LAUNDRY LIST IS RATHER EXTENSIVE? I’m sorry. All those lil’ details just filled up my brain space. What was the question again?

Where are you moving?

Our new house (and by “new” I mean 105 years old) is four minutes from our current doorstep. Same little town, same school district, same community. It is in Downtown Buda, which is THE CUTEST. It sits on almost an acre, and – I couldn’t possibly make this up – has pecan, fig, and pomegranate trees. (Go ahead and die.) I don’t know if this is obvious with the 1908 mention, but the house is very old. Where do you want to start, asked the people. I guess just…all of it, we answered. There is much to do. This is when I retreat to a separate corner of my mind and pretend we have any idea what we’re doing.

THE PORCH. Help me Lawd, the porch. Never mind the rot and termite damage.

Are these people going to make you look crazy like Honey Boo Boo?

Crazy is as crazy does, keen reader. They can only pick up what we lay down, savvy? So in other words, we are doomed, cause we can lay us down some crazy. However, these good people actually like our little tribe and have assured us they are going more for “fun wholesome family” and less “OH NO YOU DI’INT! HOLD MY EARRINGS!” You’re supposed to like us, not wish us dead at the end of every episode. So yeah, this is a total crapshoot.

Talk to us about these TV people. Do they wear fancy shoes?

These people are DELIGHTFUL. So far, they’ve helped my kids with homework, practiced their flash cards, ate popcorn and watched movies with them upstairs, indulged Remy’s interrogations about their birthdays/weddings/anniversaries which she entered into her “Days Until” app including head shots of every crew member (she is a special girl), and treated us like best friends. Both of our producers are young, beautiful, and single – one boy, one girl – and me and my friends have made it our mission to marry them off to Austinites so they will live here forever. The VP of the company, Patrick, actually did wear fancy shoes last week and I included that descriptor for his benefit. Don’t try to act like they weren’t fancy, Patrick.
Don't you love how Todd is laughing as my children manhandle his multi-zillion dollar film equipment? That's got to be sincere.

The entire show is worth it if Sarah will manage the Homework Table.

Note Adam's fancy Ben Hatmaker mug.

God bless these young men. Born on February 24th and July 7 respectively.

How do your kids feel about this?

Do you remember being in middle and high school, wishing someone would discover your awesomeness, imagining your life on a stage or in the studio or on camera, pretending you were Debbie Gibson? We are a family of Big Personalities. Our kids pretty much think this is the best thing that ever happened to them. We told them to stay mum for the last two months, which they totally didn’t since half my neighbors have asked about the show because my kids sing like canaries.

Didn’t you write a book about excess and now you’re renovating a house on HGTV?

How observant you are! Let me answer this in two parts:
  • Guess what we get to be on network television? Our own selves. We told the people, “Um, we are overtly Christian. This isn’t even a gray area.” And they said, “Yes. We want it all: your family, your prayers, your church, your poor people, your nonprofits, your chaos, your humor. We want you to be exactly who you are.” This feels monumental and special and rare. Our goal is to steward this opportunity with immense care and precision. This little light of mine…we’re gonna let it shine.
  • Come closer to me. Imagine me snaking my arm through yours, tilting my head toward you affectionately and lowering my voice to tell you something just between us girls: HGTV asked to do a renovation with us. Because I am not a daft fool, we said yes.
What did you learn from shooting the first episode?

Remy Hatmaker needs her own dedicated cameraman.

My readers have long told me they were waiting for some Hatmaker show if, for no other reason, the laughs, which we would undoubtedly provide. After much vetting, we believe HG (that’s what they call themselves, the “TV” too taxing obviously) will treat our family, our home, our actual lives, and our community with respect and care. We trust them to handle this show in a way that is good for everyone: for our little town, our new neighbors, our family and friends, and primarily the Kingdom, because we love these more than life and none are worth sacrificing over hand-scraped wood floors.

We are throwing our heads back and laughing, treating this like a once-in-a-lifetime fiasco adventure we’ll never forget. I hope you'll come with us, because we may need some character witnesses along the way. Can you imagine our family with cameras rolling?? I know you can. I can too. Heaven help.

So set your DVRs, because the Hatmakers are coming to your living room.

It is certain to be the controlled train wreck you think.

The show will air next year and it is yet untitled. You with us??

displaying most recent 100 comments

beth - September 17th, 2013 at 6:04 AM
i CANNOT WAIT!!! i love home renovations and your crazy family. how fabulous!
Mags - September 17th, 2013 at 6:33 AM
One of the best things in the world is when AWESOME PEOPLE have AWESOME THINGS happen to them. Congrats on this next big adventure - we'll be watching every minute!
:) Mags, Cincinnati, OH
everydayplace.blogspot.com
Emily Wynn - September 17th, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Oh My Goodness!!!!!!! I just did a Shuffle-Ball-Change into the Windmill! This absolutely makes my day so much happier!! I cannot wait to see the Hatmakers on the telly. Lots of prayers & Love from Birmingham!
Nate - September 17th, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Quick idea for all you 7 ers who are worried about missing the show for lack o' cable. I don't have cable either, but I got this thing called playon(dot)tv which lets me stream shows from plenty of channels to my computer, and (through my Roku) to my TV. HGTV is one of the channels they offer, so assuming "The Hectic Hatmakers" is one of the shows in their lineup on PlayOn, it SHOULD stream just fine... I got a lifetime subscription for like 40 bucks last year -- ymmv, but it is just for cable cutters like you :) Rock on, Jen and Brandon!
Amy - September 17th, 2013 at 7:25 AM
My initial thoughts...
1. This is going to be great! You're gonna win an Emmy, so please start planning your wardrobe now so you don't have to go commando on live TV for a second time.
2. Please have HG build Remy a reading nook....complete with a built-in timer and storage for her reading log.
3. Please let them see Jesus....only Jesus....just Him.
skyaky - September 17th, 2013 at 7:25 AM
oh no.... must speak to the hubs about upgrading the cable package. Before I just THOUGHT I needed HGTV, it is quite obvious I now actually NEED it! May the blessing flow all over your family and those you are coming in contact with.
Stephanie - September 17th, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Oh I can't wait. Setting the DVR pronto. Just promise me you won't go the way of John and Kate.
Cathy Sam - September 17th, 2013 at 7:45 AM
This is so awesome! As a former Buda-ite, I am excited to see my old hometown be put on the map! The fact that it's with you, a hilarious, Christ-loving woman and her fun family is icing on the cake! Go Hatmakers! Btw, I LOVE the house! We're building a new one just like it up here in Belton!
Sam - September 17th, 2013 at 8:17 AM
So let's see....all the people who read "7" and got rid of their televisions in their "mutinies against excess" can now go buy new tvs to watch you! But, of course, it's all in the name of "letting your light shine" so that makes it okay. Hmmm.............

Let's see...........7 cameramen, 7 bathrooms in the new house, 7 figure income. Heck, it could still work!!

Shaking my head...............
Steph - September 17th, 2013 at 11:53 AM
totally agree! hypocrite extraordinaire!
Darcie - September 17th, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Because you know how many bathrooms and what their income is? Judgmental much?
P - September 17th, 2013 at 4:46 PM
All I can think of/hope for is that they are doing a big surprise giveaway at the end. Otherwise it's going to be a little hard to stomach after their books.
A - September 19th, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I don't believe they're getting any income from the show itself... my understanding is they bought the house on their own and HGTV is just helping them renovate it, bc that's what they do.
Christina - October 6th, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Sam,
You obviously haven't been to downtown Buda. Houses with 7 bathrooms don't exist here, nor do 7 figure incomes. AND, only Our Father is to judge, not you or anyone else....
Jessie - October 12th, 2013 at 10:59 AM
If you are going to renovate your house anyway & someone with great knowledge & skill offers to help you -- taking the help makes sense to me. Hopefully the Hatmakers can get what they want - rather than stuff the crew wants to show off & isn't their style or desire (ie, excess consumerism). Sadly I won't get to watch because I don't have cable - but it may end up on youtube - you never know.
Nona - September 17th, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Congratulations JH! Just a few requests from your friends in Friendswood, (you know the small town fun place you came to stay and speak before you were ridiculously woman of faith,today show, HG famous :) Please live tweet the premier episode, Please have HG install a pot filler faucet over your stove. It will change your life, Please don't end the season with a bloody ear and questions whether or not you survived and will return next season, and lastly and most importantly- Please have season One theme sound something like "Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe!"
Julie - September 17th, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Love it!! Can hardly wait!
Missy - September 17th, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Yes! With you every episode!
Kel - September 17th, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Ohmigosh get out of town! This is going to be amazing! Some name ideas for the show:

Homes and Hatmakers
Home of the Hatmakers
Homes, Hallelujahs and Hatmakers
Hammers, Hallelujahs and Hatmakers
Welcome Home
Home Sweet Home
Jamie Reinhold - September 17th, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I will be especially happy if in the process they will off "House Hunters" which no one believes is real anyway. Go with God...
Autumn martin - September 17th, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I got rid of our tv and cable after reading Seven and now I'm tempted to figure out when to call Charter and sign up for cable again. What to do??? So excited for this opportunity for your family, but I will be in prayer for the warfare that may come your way. I pray God's richest blessings on your marriage, your family an your renovation. Precious house by the way!

Missi Stovall - September 17th, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! What an amazing opportunity to shine His light!
Steph - September 17th, 2013 at 11:09 AM
yeah we all know what happened to the Gosselins. and how are all those people who ditched their cable because you told them to supposed to watch it??
Kate Y. - September 17th, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Just started 7 Bible Study in Austin yesterday! Was planning on nixing the TV for media excess month. I'll definitely have to do a "version" of that now instead of the whole kit-n-kaboodle! Have been a huge fan ever since the days of Brandon ministering the youth at LHC, following your adoption HIGHS (and lows) and your fun self during women's ministries. Although we've both moved on to different churches, I think about and pray for your family a bunch! God Speed with this project. So happy for y'all!
a - September 17th, 2013 at 11:12 AM
That's awesome! Can't wait to watch your family live life...
nicole - September 17th, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I am SOOOOOOOOO with you. CANNOT. WAIT. Love it all...
Lila Long Pond - September 17th, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Cannot wait! We need more of authentic living pouring into homes across this nation. Souls are hungry, laughter is running low, and connecting at vulnerable places seems to be a lost art. Let 'er rip, good people! Totally behind you on this!!!
Kristen - September 17th, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I wish I had cable!!!
Bree - September 17th, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I cannot WAAAAAIIITTTTT!!!!! Yippeee yippeeeeee yipeeeeeeee!
Michelle Barreto - September 17th, 2013 at 1:43 PM
DANG IT!!! Where were the cameras when we needed them with the water balloon episode? L O V E I T!!!!!
Mick - September 17th, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Jen, we may have different religious beliefs, but I LOVE your sense of humor and your writing. BRAVA, AMIGA!
Jan Panning - September 17th, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Yay!!! The more Christians on TV the better! I enjoyed your article very much. I am looking forward to the show.
Rose - September 17th, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Did someone really comment, "Good things happen to good people"? Oh, my--
I've heard it all now!
Melissa - September 17th, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Just when I had decided to get rid of my TV, of all people, I'm now swayed to reconsider my decision by Jen Hatmaker!?! DAGNABIT!!! Life is just not fair and this proves it...
Mary Beth Bradshaw - September 17th, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Total.awesomeness. can't wait.
Sandy Wickberg - September 17th, 2013 at 3:36 PM
It's great that you all are planning to use this as an opportunity for the Kingdom but keep in mind that HGTV is ALL about excess--"I must have hardwood floors and could never live anywhere that doesn't have stainless steel appliances! What do you mean no great room! This furniture must all be replaced--it's SO outdated."

I luv ya girlfriend, but please be careful!

Minority Report - September 17th, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I just need to say that I was surprised to read this post. I just finished your husband's book and have read reviews of yours -- it's hard after reading this post not to view them a bit cynically. You two have made very public statements about your personal and professional commitments to simplicity and social justice. HGTV is fun, but it also tends to be quite aspirational and materialistic. I understand the difficulty of meeting the very high standards you set for yourself, while still wanting a nice home for your family. But trumpeting your home renovation to the world is a pretty big step from where you were at.
Jess H - September 17th, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Jen, I know the show will be just like y'all are - real, hilarious, loving, lovable, thought-provoking, tear-jerking (incidentally, I'm half way through 7 and can't watch a football without crying! My word! I'm a Presbyterian! We're not supposed to FEEL like this)- and centered around a house y'all are building for Christ! A God-centered HOME. Praise be! May God bless this endeavor!!
Holly - September 17th, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Which one is the young single producer and does he love Jesus? ;) Just kidding...loved your book and am looking forward to watching your show. As others said...this might be a reason to pay for cable!
Ellen - September 17th, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I have enjoyed your blog, but its hard to see how your personal witness fits in well with HGTV. (Since I mainly watch "House Hunters" to feel all self righteous because of the people who can't survive without 3 car garages. Just being honest here.) Your second reason why this is ok for you didn't seem to me to be a real explanation... more like a flippant comment that everyone should understand without an explanation. Would I be excited if HGTV wanted to renovate my house? Um, yeah... but it would require soul searching and involve lots of conversations about what was necessary and prayer about that. You haven't told us if you've had that process, and from your book and your blog, it seems like you would.
jamie - September 17th, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I'm going to have to get cable to watch this ;)
Bethany - September 17th, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Soooo excited! Blessings to you all!
Mary B - September 17th, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Im totally with you and will watch the show with all the enthusiasm I give Duck Dynasty. Waiting with bated breath!
Linda - September 17th, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I'm so excited. I just peed a tiny bit.
Jen in MN - September 17th, 2013 at 9:49 PM
This news ROCKS!!! We also got rid of cable, thanks to 7, and now we'll have to get it BACK, because I will not be deprived of "Hatmaker Heaven", or "Hatmaker's Hacks", or "Growing Up Hatmaker", or "House of Hatmakers" or "Remy and Co", or whatever it ends up being. Sweet mercy, I might even purchase a DVR. Congrats!!! Come to Minnesota and talk to us, girl!! We need some sarcastic love and goodness up here. And for someone to explain to everyone about all the grace. xoxo
Molly in Michigan - September 17th, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Getting cable again in our house. Hubs gets to watch Michigan football and I get to watch the Hatmakers. Sounds like a deal to me! :-) Very exciting!!
Bonnie - September 17th, 2013 at 10:18 PM
This is the best thing I have heard in ages. Seriously, Jen Hatmaker, you have changed my life (with God's help) and HGTV is about the only thing I watch... not husband and daughter sighing. Put the two together and WOW! So excited!!!!
Heather M. - September 18th, 2013 at 12:17 AM
This just made my week...my month! Awesome!!! I can't wait to actually hear your voice...now I'm wondering if you sound in person like you do in my head. :) And I haven't even finished reading your post...scrolling back up now. :)
Tiffany - September 18th, 2013 at 1:05 AM
So I don't have even have HGTV but girl, I might get it for this.
Elizabeth Johnson - September 18th, 2013 at 2:39 AM
So excited to see this show and how God will use you through your show! I love watching HGTV and my DVR will be set to record your show! Much love and prayers for your whole family!
Mel B - September 18th, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I have read almost every comment and I think I can summarize them:

1. People love you and want to be your friend so they are excited about seeing you on tv.
2. People love your life's mission and attention to reducing excess, but are concerned that since HG is all about excess that something won't be right here (such as the granite and SS).
3. People love Jesus and wonder if He will be the real deal on the show.

I can see ways to blend a reduction in excess with the creativity of HG. Maybe you find materials at junk yards and have your homeless friends work projects together for payment, but I sure hope this adventure doesn't take away from your time with Jesus and sharing him everywhere.
P - September 18th, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I thought it was notable that there are probably 10 comments in your #2 -- out of 480 . Maybe the blog audience is different than the book audience.
P - September 18th, 2013 at 6:22 PM
And, as Christian who works alongside poor, people I have a hard time figuring out how to spin this is as a Christian and or social justice mission.
1) "We do glamorous, televised home renovations but it's different because we spend less on materials?" 2) "We do glamorous, televised home renovations but it's different because we employ poor people?"
3) "We do glamorous, televised home renovations but it's different because we are a nice Christian family?"
Anyway, I've spent an hour thinking about the Hatmakers which is more than enough for people I don't know and will probably never meet. God works in mysterious ways, and I do wish them well.
Sylvia - September 24th, 2013 at 7:05 AM
I think you've expressed my thoughts exactly. I love JH's blog but I'm sad to hear about the show. I hope it turns out better than my fears. Anyway I live in the Uk and won't see it anyway. I wish them well.
vicki - September 18th, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I can't wait! Another show for the good side!

carlhatmaker - September 18th, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Secret no way, when you come out you come out. Look out Duck Dynasty the Hatmaker s are in town. Proud of you all. Love you all, unc.Carl
carlhatmaker - September 18th, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Jessica - September 18th, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Love it!
Sandy - September 18th, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Can hardly wait to see the show, Have know Sarah since she was a little girl, has been so fun watching her grow and become exactly who she is. And the homework table, she can handle it.
Ruth Dubbs - September 18th, 2013 at 8:53 PM
This is so exciting! It is so encouraging to have another faith-based show on television soon to be launched. When you, Jen, were at North Knox High School in Knox County, Indiana, I fell in love with your ministry. I so look forward to this new journey that God is taking you and your family on to share with the world. God bless!
Cindy - September 18th, 2013 at 10:06 PM
So excited for you! Such a great thing.

Also, fig trees often attract wasps. I didn't know that and then wished I did.
Ingrid - September 18th, 2013 at 11:04 PM
This is totally worth the price of cable. I'm calling first thing tomorrow morning.
Arlene Pellicane - September 18th, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Unbelievable! It's gonna be hilarious, amazing, and wonderful. We had HGTV at our home for 4 days to remodel one room on the show "Home Made Simple." It was exhausting and amazing. My son (the subject of the remodel) has the picture up in his room of our family and the 25 person crew who worked with us for the week. I can't imagine doing all that for as long as you all did!
Sandra - September 19th, 2013 at 6:52 AM
I am looking forward to a real family being real and brining glory to the Kingdom of God! Can't wait!

Lea - September 19th, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Great post-cannot WAIT for the show!

I%u2019m one of your newer fans-over the summer I read one of your posts on MSN, after which I promptly went to Amazon and purchased one of your books. I%u2019ve now passed that on to a friend. Then more recently I found your blog. It took me less than a week to read every single post. Love them all, the serious and the funny.

Some of your earlier posts have really inspired me. I went to the Pure Charity site to help support one of the projects you mentioned, but since the post was so old, all of the projects were fully funded-great news for your charities%u2026annoying for my good intentions. So now I%u2019ve decided to convince my family to sponsor and orphan in Haiti. My 5 year old thought it was a great idea, provided that she doesn%u2019t have to use any of the money in her piggy bank. This should give you a good indication of how stellar my parenting skills have been thus far.

Not sure how often you read these comments but just wanted to let you know that your efforts as a wife, mother and humanitarian have moved me more than I can say. How smart of God to invent the internet, so that something that enters a stranger%u2019s heart nearly 2 years ago can smack me in the face in the present.

Thanks for all the inspiration-can%u2019t wait for your next post! No pressure though. %uF04A

Jenny - September 19th, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Reading 7 and Out of the spin cycle. I have a spicy family with 4 adopted kids. All crazy!! My friend Allie (she has 5 kids (3 are adopted), and I read your books and blog together and laugh out loud and feel a little relief knowing we are not alone in this crazy mommy world. Thrilled I get to know you better. I already refer to you as my friend with a blog. Like we are that tight. If you lived in San Luis Obispo, we would totally be BFF's. xoxo Jenny
Nellie - September 19th, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Oh I love you, Jen. You are SPICY and are KILLING IT! You are so awesome and so real because you use all caps and sassy phrases and call me "girl" and say "yall". You are my secret BFF, so secret you don't even know it! I spend my life worshipping people online and on reality tv so just the fact that you will be on it TV will make me worship you even more!

Honestly what a total and complete joke all of this is. Does no one read these comments and think people should get a life?
Rachel - September 19th, 2013 at 9:31 PM
No way!!! I don't have tv at my house - just online streaming. I hope I can see it! When do I put it on my calendar so I can start watching for it?
Cici - September 19th, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Looks like 7 was put to the test. And failed. Gonna be kinda hard to sell that book now, huh? Oh wait, I forgot. You're not a daft fool.
Tony Cleaver - September 20th, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Go for it! And let God be glorified. I just saw this story on the Christian Post and had to come over here. Personally, I love Christian Bikers. It's been my experience that they are often more genuine in their faith than even some seminary graduates I have known. In fact, I even made one of the heroes in my new novel to be a 'Harley-Riding Pastor.' So I'm reveling in your experience. All my best and like I said, let God be glorified!
Christine - September 20th, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I'm in need of cable so I can watch this! Can't wait to see the show!! Please keep us posted once the show has a name!!
Leah G - September 20th, 2013 at 12:52 PM
fantastic! I just wish I didn't have to wait until next year to see it!!
Katie - September 20th, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Happy dance, happy dance!!! My husband just suggested we get rid of cable... To which I replied, 'what about HGTV???' God wants us to keep cable!! %uD83D%uDE1CCongrats to you and your family, I can't wait to watch!
Natisha - September 21st, 2013 at 9:06 AM
ok so I never heard of you before until yesterday when I was sitting on the bus waiting for my afterschool children to get released. I heard two of my favorite things in one commercial...Christian family and HGTV. I have gotten totally bored with TV and I yearn for more realness to be on TV, but I love watching HGTV.. I am watching yards crashers now. Well off I go to get to know more about you. BE BLESSED!
Michael - September 21st, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Hi Jen, I am not even sure you read this. I heard about you on KLOVE radio. They said that you adopted kids from Ethiopia. I am from Ethiopia and I just want to say thank you for doing this. May God bless your family.
Cathhh - September 21st, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Hallelujah! Bring on more entertaining Christian tv! Can't wait to see the first episode. I'm currently in Seven bible study and reading your book, "Seven". Watching you manage your hectic lifestyle with your hilarious personality will make for some good tv.
Christie - September 22nd, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I'm sorry that the show includes a renovation (assuming HGTV is paying for the reno) since that just feeds discontentment in viewers (myself). I'm sorry to say, after five years of discontented renting that I'm not strong enough not to covet pretty new house details. The only good thing about my discontent is that I am not strong enough to overcome covetousness (idolatry) on my own and I am "content in my weakness" because when I am weak, He is strong and helps me overcome the weakness.

I'd be more interested in your show if it showed simple living just like you wrote of in "7," which I loved.
Kari - September 23rd, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I have avoided paying for TV for all of my adult life... because I am just that cheap. yes, we get by with 4 major networks and PBS. But, Jen Hatmaker, you may make a dish subscriber out of me.. because I NEED to see this show!!! :)
Anna - September 23rd, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Yay! Can't wait to see the show.
Christy - September 23rd, 2013 at 12:45 PM
OH.MY.GAWSH! I just might have to subscribe to cable TV for this! How exciting!! I know it will be great. :)
Kim - September 23rd, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Congratulations!!!! I can't wait to see your fam, community, and farmhouse on TV. Seriously considering how to get HGTV for this.
Julie - September 23rd, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Thank you sweet baby Jesus!!! FINALLY, as much as I love me some Duck Dynasty, all the women in the house said a big AMEN for HGTV jumpin on the bandwagon with one of America's most awesome families! I seriously CAN. NOT. WAIT. for this to air!!!
Kim - September 23rd, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I can't wait. Hooray.
Julia Leinen - September 24th, 2013 at 1:45 PM
this made me laugh out loud!!! I can't wait!!!
Poopc - September 24th, 2013 at 6:33 PM
OK, so I just discovered your blog and your family like a few hours ago from Creating a Family and Dawn Davenport. I cried when I read your referral post and now this? I don't have cable. How in the H#ll am I going to watch this circus? I wanna real bad! I love me a porch and I love your blog.
Christi - September 25th, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I love your heart and your humor and transparency in raising up your family. As a mother of 7, I can relate to much of what you write. I wish you and your family well in this adventure and pray that God will use your family to share His love and good news. I will not be following or watching this adventure. I've read "7", in fact I read it a few weeks after returning from a mission trip in Uganda where my daughter and I spent our time serving children in prisons. These children have been dealt social injustice in a way most can't even comprehend. I read "7" to help me reacclimate to life here in the States. I came home incensed at what we take for granted. Through "7" I discovered ways that my family and I can make a difference locally and abroad. I will continue to use what we could spend on cable each month, to support and sponsor children in Uganda. Children who were wasting away in a prison but have now been placed in loving foster families. I will continue to use the time I might spend watching your show and others to be out in my community, serving and making a difference. I challenge other readers of this blog and "7" to do the same...the mutiny against excess can continue through us, we may not reach the world of cable but we can make a difference in the lives of individuals.
EJ - September 25th, 2013 at 12:49 PM
How fun! I'm excited to watch!
Kristy Austin - September 25th, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Can NOT wait!
Rachel - September 25th, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Very exciting!! And I have to say that I personally cant wait to watch someone else remodel an old farmhouse! My husband and I have been in the process of a complete (knock all the walls out) remodel of a beautiful old farmhouse for 6 1/2 years now and its still not even livable, much to our dismay! We had just met when he started and now 3 years of dating, 3 years of marriage and one baby later we're still waiting to move into our dream house :) My handy farmer husband is doing all the work himself, so count your blessings with that HGTV help!! It will be a great show!
Ellen - September 26th, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Can Sarah sign the homework folders...especially come April?!!! :) Congrats!
Tracy Earley - September 26th, 2013 at 9:01 PM
So, I'm in...I just found you, and I'm in.
Chrissy - September 26th, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1. It would seem Harley-riding, tattooed pastors are a dime a dozen in Austin...ones who actually preach the Gospel? Brandon's competition just decreased by 99%!
2. You were headed for stardom the moment you adopted. Don't you know its all the rage in Hollywood? That makes so easy now. (All comments I've heard as an adoptive mom:)
3. Like so many I can't watch the show b/c I read "7" & turned off my cable. Thankfully, my parents live 6 houses away. They aren't too concerned about excess or social justice. Works out well for me in this case.

Love you and can't wait for the show!!!!!
Melissa - September 27th, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Loved your book, 7. I Read it with a group of friends this summer. It truly inspired me to reflect on my own excessiveness and search out ways I can serve others. It has made a difference in my life for the better. I love HGTV and watch it quite a bit. I know you are human, and I know I would not be able to resist a HGTV renovation. I pray that this show will be a wonderful platform for your mission work and bringing people to Christ. Your writing is very entertaining and I'm sure the show will be too. I'm a little worried only because I noticed how many people quit cable because of your book and now they are all getting it back because of your show. Please keep inspiring Jen!
DP - September 28th, 2013 at 4:24 PM
I must admit that I am a little disillusioned and confused. I am leading the 7 Experiment in our church; in fact, we are in the "possessions" week. The third paragraph on page 73...the second paragraph on page 78...your words seem incongruent with your latest choices. We are continuing the study, but there have been so many questions lately from the Bible study members.

I am truly happy that HGTV is featuring your family. Really, I am! At the same time, I am concerned about the impact on our group and any others in the midst of this study. Our group members have committed to live below their means and focus on serving others for God. Interesting twist...
erin - September 30th, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Anyone know when it airs? I don't want to miss it.
DC Dana - September 30th, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Your blog is hilarious and I love HGTV - Very excited about watching this!
Darlene Riccardi-Giarratano - October 1st, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I feel like 9 yrs old with you...I want to be you. You are an incredible witness for our Lord and Savior and will do mighty things. God bless!! Please advise (in a large way) of show name, and TV listings. So incredibly excited!!!
Kristen Margason - October 5th, 2013 at 6:22 PM
It's about darn time! :) I am SO excited and can't wait to watch y'all shine!!! Congrats and praying God will use this and your family in a HUGE way!!!!
Emily Nelson - October 7th, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I'm setting my vcr now! I'm all in!

But not as 'all in' as you are! God be with you!

Aisling - October 8th, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I hope you write a blog post to all the people who copy you and not the Holy Spirit. You are living your life based on what God tells you. They should do the same. I loved your 7 book. It inspired me. We are Jesus followers. Not jen followers. The people who are sad and upset sound a little creepy to me.
Keely - October 9th, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I used to work in reality TV. We camped out in people's houses for weeks and really got to know each of the homeowners. It was a great experience and most of the homeowners came out really happy with the experience and gained some new friends. TV people are (mostly) good people, sounds like you found some great ones.
Becky Armstrong - October 11th, 2013 at 5:33 AM
When Leah told terry and I we were soooo
Excited!!! God, the Hatmakers, and HGTV...what a great combo....the Armstrongs WILL be watching!!
Holly Simon - October 12th, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Oh, we're SO in! Is there an email sign-up list where we can get a "heads up" email to set our DVRs??? ...not that we ever wander away from our computers for long stretches of time to parent and clean, and forget that there were things there that we wanted to keep track of... like a big, bag, of beloved Hatmaker crazy that reminds us that we're not in it alone. ;-) Nope, nosirree Bob, not US, but we've HEARD that those people are out there, and that they might need a reminder!
Meriam - October 18th, 2013 at 2:02 PM
please don't ruin peoples view of adoption...steward the opportunity wisely
Miles Schor - October 26th, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Jen - FYI. Saturday 10-26 is one of the producer's 30th birthday (Adam S.) Best Regards-Adam's dad.
d cody - December 19th, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Hoping HGTV will let you live your faith out loud and not censor it to their religion! Dont bend with the wind or the media!
A - March 5th, 2014 at 10:22 PM
As an adoptive mama who loves you, I have to wonder if this kind of attention is good for your children - especially your beautiful two who have only been home a few years - and if it's consistent with your values to this point, those for which you are loved and respected. I don't have cable, so I won't be watching the show. I wish you the best and that this works out really well for your family.
Nicole - March 8th, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Congrats JH and family! You have blessed so many, and I am so happy that God is blessing you!
Christian keen Indianapolis - March 12th, 2014 at 11:09 PM
This is really awesome. Really enjoyed reading the content here.