How to Noonday Party Like A Boss
by Jen Hatmaker on July 8th, 2014

Being a part of a global movement is hard work. It is gritty and complicated, exhausting and overwhelming.

Supporting women in other countries is so draining. It will plumb wear you out.

I mean, international advocacy is a tough road, but someone must do it.

Making an impact toward a bigger, worldwide mission is so much work, but life is hard.

Or maybe it is more like a really fun party with really gorgeous accessories made by really fabulous international women. Have you been to a Noonday Trunk Show? Because I’ve hosted one in my own house with local Noonday Ambassador Krista Box (benefitting the Austin New Church adoption fund) and it was basically the best thing ever. The thing is, most creatives and artisans in our country have easy access to the marketplace: social media, Etsy, galleries, shows, boutiques, word of mouth, and of course, a client base with purchasing power.

To make that sort of economic empowerment available, Noonday Trunk Shows create a marketplace for artisans around the world who come from vulnerable communities. By giving them access to our western market, they build jobs and support entire families and communities. Noonday creates a pipeline of opportunity for women to help other women, which is pretty much the best work I can think of. As a host, you support the career of Ambassadors here who then support the career of artisans in nine different countries. You touch women near and far to empower one another and create economic opportunity, which transforms whole lives.

And let’s be clear: you get to have a party and buy pretty things, so… no martyrs here.

So easy: contact your local Ambassador to coordinate your event, throw open your doors to your friends, make some yummy snacks and set your drinks out, and your Ambassador will do the rest. She’ll bring the entire collection over (clear a table, man) and she’ll tell the Noonday story. Your friends get to buy beautiful products and you are a hero.

So you know I’m leaving Friday to go to Rwanda with Noonday and meet the artisans on our #StyleForJustice trip. The Rwandan team is small but mighty. Not only do they make all the packaging that Noonday comes in (you wish all your doorstep packages looked like these), but they have given us pieces like these:

Look at the Rwandan team. I get to meet these women in one week. I am outside of my mind. I hope the two on the end will let me hold their hands too, because I am like that. As you know, I’ve kissed a stranger’s baby on a plane. They are so beautiful, so strong, so good at what they do. You can get a feel for their tenacity here. I cannot wait to get to them.

These women are skilled artisans and we are a bunch of clunky writers, but with their leadership, together we are creating a #StyleForJustice Collection while we’re in Rwanda! Like, design work! New products specifically in honor of our time together! Oh my gosh. I am dying. I don’t know much but I PICK YELLOW!!! AND GREEN!!! Probably shouldn’t let me near a sewing machine, but I can cut patterns! I really want to impress the artisans, so I’ve learned some relevant sewing language like “interfacing” and “seam allowance” and “twill tape.” I plan to use my vocabulary with reckless abandon.

Here is what you get to do: host a show! But not just any show on any old day…join women across the country on August 7th for the first ever Noonday Nationwide Trunk Show! On that day only and only for trunk show attendees, we will roll out the #StyleForJustice collection we designed with the artisans and you get to vote on which pieces make the cut (and I’m just saying pay special heed to the YELLOW and GREEN submissions…I suspect they will be so winning). Voting is that day only by participants in the Nationwide Trunk Show. Isn’t that fun?

Please note that I will then be calling myself a designer and you can’t stop me. BECAUSE I HAVE A COLLECTION. WITH A SEAM ALLOWANCE.

All the Ambassadors are standing by, ready to plan parties with you on August 7th!

Speaking of August 7th, that is sort of a biggie. You might recall my family has a little show also coming out that day on HGTV. And that I also turn 40 that day. August 7th is producing ALL THE FEELS. So maybe you can use the TV show as incentive for your friends: Come to my Noonday Trunk Show, get pretty things, eat free food, and then we can watch “My Big Family Renovation” with the crazy Hatmakers at 10:00 and 10:30pm CT! I know that’s late, but here is the moment I am begging you to watch the first two episodes live with me or I might die of terror.

Fashion Party + Watch Party all in one!

Word is that I am wearing Noonday pieces in both episodes…SYNERGY.

Oh yall. So much. I hope you’ll follow along on our trip next week! You can sign up for our emails here (and enter to win some goodies for the next two days) if you want to keep good tabs on us. We’ll be heavy on Instagram, so go do a little follow over there if you haven’t (“jenhatmaker”) and be sure to follow the other storytellers too, because some of them will be posting pictures that weren’t taken with their iPhones, God bless.

I plan to fall madly in love with the Rwandan artisans. Be warned.

WHO WANTS TO THROW A PARTY ON AUGUST 7TH???

Beth Shores - July 8th, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Awesome!!!!! Can't wait to see both the creations and your show! So exciting and I so get your excitement!
Robin Snider - July 8th, 2014 at 8:34 AM
We will be camping that day but would love to help out another day. Have a wonderful trip!!!!
jana craft - July 8th, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I'm having a noonday trunk show on thursday! So excited!
Julie Alspaugh - July 8th, 2014 at 9:09 AM
I'm pretty sure my work choosing to fly me to Austin for that one week when all this awesomeness will occur, when we haven't had 'budget' for three years, is like some cosmic message that there is a party in Austin that I'm supposed to be at that night.... Now someone just needs to tell me where that IS!!! :). Hatmaker Hoomie Orphan, without her local peeps, looking for some fun... Who wants to adopt me for a night :)
Jennifer Bacon - July 8th, 2014 at 9:17 AM
is there a place where we can order jewelry without hosting a show?
Danielle Long - July 8th, 2014 at 9:30 AM
You can order online at www.noondaycollection.com :)
Nichole - July 8th, 2014 at 10:40 AM
If you don't know an ambassador, I would love to be yours! Not many from 'my neck of the woods' in Minnesota know how awesome Noonday is (yet!), but I plan to put a stop to that! ;) Nicholepaulsen.noondaycollection.com
Kristin - July 8th, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Nichole, I have been trying to find out more about becoming an ambassador! I have questions! lol. Email me!! klodell@verizon.net Thank you!!
Noonday Collection - July 9th, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Hey Jennifer,

If you head to the Noonday Website you can shop online there! www.noondaycollection.com
debra - July 8th, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Do they have a website to purchase from?
Brooke Ackley - July 8th, 2014 at 9:42 AM
You can always purchase online at noondaycollection.com but you may check and see if you know an ambassador who can help you. You don't have to host a party for her to help you! I'm an ambassador and would love too! But you might know someone also and it's always a blessing to us ambassadors to be able to personally help you!
Krista Box - July 8th, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Love this friend! It was such a blessing to partner with you to advocate raise money for ANC's adoption fund! I can truly think of nothing more impactful! Thanks for being such a strong voice for those we love and work with!
Flower Patch Farmgirl - July 8th, 2014 at 10:10 AM
OF COURSE I already scheduled a trunk show for the 7th! And DUH, the evening's plans will include an hour of telley-watching. And Sangria. And goat cheese. And salsa.

I'll stop now.
wynne - July 9th, 2014 at 1:54 PM
sounds amazing!
Ali Kilmartin - July 8th, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Is it possible to host an online, virtual noonday show on August 7th? Or are they only live and in person?
Erin Weber - July 8th, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Ali, we do only do in-person shows. The story telling and relationship building are such an integral part of our mission!
Brooke Barker - July 8th, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Click here to find an Ambassador to partner with! http://www.noondaycollection.com/host-a-trunk-show#connect-with-your-local-ambassador
ktgo - July 8th, 2014 at 11:22 AM
I spy the adorable Better Life Bags in the pic too ... good to know your patrons are responsible buyers all around. www.betterlifebags.com

Emily - July 8th, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Great post! I am a Noonday ambassador, love everything Noonday, and can't wait for August 7th! Just wanted to share a post, How to party with a Purpose, lots of other organizations with missions similar to Noonday that your readers can also support!

Polly - July 8th, 2014 at 2:04 PM
So, how awesome is this? My bday is Aug. 8! I think I'll have a party a day early to join the fun!! Nichole from MN....wonder of you're near Owatonna? I'll get on the web and find out!!
Have a fabulous trip-can't wait to see/hear/follow all about it! (And your show too)
Polly
Nichole - October 6th, 2015 at 11:27 PM
Hi Polly! I stumbled back across this post ( never saw your question the first time around!) and would love to partner with you! I am in Moorhead, but would gladly drive to Owatonna! You can email me at nicholepaulsen@hotmail.com
Kimberly - July 8th, 2014 at 9:50 PM
That's my birthday, too!!! I knew we were kindred spirits. ;) and, I now have birthday plans!
MyPeaceOfFood - July 9th, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Just sent in my contact info to see if there is an Ambassador close to me. The jewels are beautiful! The cause is stupendous! Love you Jen Hatmaker!
Charity - July 10th, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Hey, I know you probably won't read this. I don't know how else to contact you. I am concerned about your promotion of Noonday. I always ask a company about their product price breakdown when they claim to be doing humanitarian business. Noonday won't give me one. They won't tell me how much an artist gets paid for their work and how much of their price is profit. The reason this matters to me is that they are building their business on the theme that buying from them helps women in poverty to rise above. If I pay $60 for a necklace, I want to know that a good chunk of that goes to pay the person who spent hours crafting it. All sales businesses worth their salt know their price breakdown. There is a base item cost, shipping, overhead, profit, and commission. In the case of Noonday, their consultants receive 20%, their own profit margin is at least another 30% because their consultants can buy at half price. That leaves $30 of my $60 to cover overhead (which includes their offices, marketing, salaries for their employees, and the trip you are taking to Rwanda), shipping, and finally something for the artist. I don't have a problem with Noonday making a profit. But if they are making a killing and the people whose art they are selling are still struggling, then I cannot in good conscience support them.
Shari - July 12th, 2014 at 12:53 AM
I have the same questions and wonderings. Can't get any answers from anybody at Noonday or from any ambassador so I will not purchase from them or have anything to do with them. They are hiding things and I don't like it.
Annie - July 16th, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Thanks for that info, Charity. A little bummed that you didn't get a response from Noonday or even Jen H.
SARAH CARVER - October 13th, 2016 at 9:29 AM
I know this thread was 2 years ago but I'm also trying to find answers to how much the women themselves profit and haven't found one yet...is Noonday still avoiding the question??
Sarah - July 11th, 2014 at 7:04 AM
This is awesome! I'm so excited to follow along with your trip. My 2nd baby is due on August 3rd, so I'm not sure I can pull off an August 7th trunk show, but I just filled out info to learn about becoming an ambassador and put out a call on FB for the show.
Jaclyn - July 11th, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Excited to be a part of the Hatmaker/Noonday event on the 7th - - a bunch of ladies I love, supporting artisans around the world, we get to watch the show together and get our Jen fix! It's going to be an epic night! Excited in Seattle (really Enumclaw but nobody knows where that is :))
Janell Rardon - July 11th, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Jen, I just hosted a NOONDAY TRUNK SHOW here in Virginia because my sweet daughter, Brooke Rardon, is an ambassador. I LOVE THIS GROUP OF VIBRANT YOUNG WOMEN and all they are doing to empower women....I pray that your platform will CATAPULT them into the hands of every woman so that we can continue empowering others. YOU GO GIRL!!!! Know that you are being covered in prayer......
brooke ackley - July 12th, 2014 at 8:21 PM
WOOOO HOOOO! The trip is finally here. Im so excited and I can not wait to track along with all of you and read as you pour out everything you are seeing on the ground and graciously share these womens stories! SO excited and so thrilled about all of it! Thank you thank you!!!! Youre one amazing cheerleader and Im so grateful for all of you going and sharing and storytelling !!!
Kathy - September 4th, 2014 at 10:47 PM
So no answer for "Charity's" question above?
Jaime - January 21st, 2015 at 12:06 AM
I'd be happy to answer charity's questions ! The prices are made/negotiated by the artisans that make them. It's all fair trade. Host a trunk show and learn more. I was a skeptic and now an ambassador :)