Got a bunch of folks to feed? This is one of my favorite recipes for a crowd: French dip sandwiches!
Get out your handy dandy crock pot, drop in a huge chuck roast heavily salted and peppered, and… just dump a packet of McCormick’s pot roast seasoning right on in and add some water.
DO NOT GET PRECIOUS WITH ME ABOUT THIS.
If you want to grind your own spice blend sprinkled with the happy tears of mermaid babies, be my guest.
Also, I am aware that the Insta-pot evangelists would say this can all be done in like 12 seconds in the magic cooker. Which is undoubtedly true.
I have one. It is still in its box. Please apply the oxygen mask to your own face before securing your children. I just can’t do everything, you guys.
I like to start my crock pot roast the night before, because it is impossible to cook this too long.
When it is done, put the roast on a big sheet pan and shred it with two forks.
Cook’s note: I am FANATICAL about discarding every tiny bit of fat during this process. If I bite into a chunk of fat inside my sandwich, YOU TELL ‘EM I’M COMIN’ AND HELL IS COMIN’ WITH ME (gratuitous Tombstone quote).
Get some yummy sub rolls from your bakery and slice them almost all the way through. Load up your subs like this:
1. Awesome mayo (I made two choices: garlic and scallion mayo, and horseradish and lemon mayo which is exactly what it sounds like. Dump those things in your mayo —Duke’s of course — stir, and now your fancy mayo selection is complete. How much of it all? The amount of stuff to add is “some.”)
2. Cheese: Swiss, provolone, cheddar, pepper jack, whatever you want bro
3. Shredded beef void of any trace of fat. You’re welcome.
4. Caramelized onions. And peppers if you like to live dangerously.
5. More cheese. Because ‘Merica.
Load a sheet pan with the sammies and stick them under the broiler for a couple of minutes until the cheese is all melty and the bread gets crusty.
If you want a tangy crunch, add dill pickle slices just before you gobble this up. (This is not traditional, but last time I checked, I am a grown woman who can do what she wants.)
This makes everyone happy.
If you want to get real serious, you can strain the liquid and give the people au jus ramekins. Or you can be trashy like my family and just dip your sandwich straight into the crock pot.
Speaking of food, you can find more recipe goodness in my debut cookbook, Feed These People.